Birmingham NEC Cla$$ic Car Show

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Birmingham NEC Cla$$ic Car Show

Post by martyhopkirk »

Off to Birmingham tomorrow to the Classic motor show - have this mad idea that i would like to buy a Dyane, though i know that if i saw a reasonably priced Renault Fuego i would have to be forcibly restrained.... My mate Bob whos my company for the Day thinks Im off my tights and says anything newer than 1950 isnt classic... But then hes got a large pile of rust in the garage maskerading as a Morris 8 and has himself a list of spares he wants from the autojumble as long as your leg...
So given a choice of one car to have for fun, whats it to be?
Bobs motor!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My wife won't let me go this year, instead we're off to a club meet in Stoke on Sunday. It's the Renault Megane Coupe & Convertible Club. The wife has a Convertible in platinum sliver. The last time I went to the Classic car show I ended up having to be forcably removed from a Mantra Baghera (spelling).I just fell in love with a ready to roll project that was in my price range. I advice take only £30 cash and leave credit card and cheque book at home.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Took the credit card, but sadly was about £2000 short of the nice 2CV i saw.
Spent a bit of time on the Citroen stand, joined the CCC, and sat in an SM - nice, very very nice.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Took the credit card, but sadly was about £2000 short of the nice 2CV i saw.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds like rather an expensive one, Marty! As far as 2CVs go, you are better getting, say, a slightly earlier one, B-reg or before, or a later one that has been rechassised. Dyanes offer much more value for money, though; you should get a very good one for £500-750, and they are a bit more practical; proper hatchback, slightly faster, no flapping doors. Go on - get one!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Well TBH Mike - I really would like a Dyane. However saw some very nice refinished 2CV6's from Frome 2CV, but my word were they expensive..... If you know of a good ish Dyane im quite open to keep teh ZX a little longer and buy a Dyane for fun!
ZX left lamp failed on way home, have spent all morning (between patients) farting about finaly traced the faulty bit of wiring loom and resolderd
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

See I told you not to take the credit card. I can breath out now then. The wife has told me it's safe to look at old classic cars again and that I can be trusted with money. The classic car show makes me go like a kid in a sweet shop [:D]. As for the wife's club meet had a great day out in Stoke. Loads of guys with modified Megane coupes, huge speakers and stuff. Not quite my thing but you live and learn.[:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

No wouldnt be mine, went through a stage like that when i was 17 and had an XR2 (was lucky enough to have a fairly good job at the time and could afford the finance and insurance! - Fully comp £875, ah those were the days...), big speakers, lots of amps (home made MOSFET efforts) under the dash all wired through my little 8 track!
Then i went through a CB phase (still have one) and now im into my Citroen phase. I have to admit, if presented with a tidy Dyane for the price Mike seems to think I could pay I would be out with the cheque book before you could say "kevin the gerbil!"
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Well TBH Mike - I really would like a Dyane. However saw some very nice refinished 2CV6's from Frome 2CV, but my word were they expensive.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I suppose they are - they have to recoup the hours of labour, but companies that do this sort of thing do shift all the cars they can get hold of. I have a 2CV that I 'rescued' - it is sitting in my garage waiting for me to stick a couple of floors and sills on to it, but there are one radio restoration and two clock ones in the queue in front of it. 2CVs always fetch more than Dyanes, mainly because most of those for sale are probably 1984 - 90, whereas the Dyane finished in 1982.
The Dyane feels much more solid, has a bigger windscreen, proper tailgate and 3bhp more (higher compression and supercharging). I have done hundreds of miles on the autobahn with the needle against the stop at 80+ in comfort and without missing a beat, and that is with the car full of camping gear!<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
If you know of a good ish Dyane im quite open to keep teh ZX a little longer and buy a Dyane for fun!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Marty, are you in CCC or 2CVGB? There are usually quite a few advertised in the mags. Danger is, you will start using it as your everyday car, not just a 'fun' one! [:D][:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Joined the CCC at the stand at Birmingham....
Hope to get my first "Citronean" next month... Then I feel i will probably become poorer but happier!
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Joined the CCC at the stand at Birmingham....
Hope to get my first "Citronean" next month... Then I feel i will probably become poorer but happier!
Wise move, Marty. There tend to be more Dyanes in the 2CVGB mag, but I will give you a shout if I see anything tasty in there. There is a CCC meeting at Manchester transport museum in November that is well worth going to - all free, and you get a couple of rides round the city in old buses
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Sounds good to me,
Just spent half the night trying to source a decent copy of Minder and One foot in the grave music for a mates dads funeral - almost impossible the latter, isnt it odd that in this day of MP3 and music downloads its still difficult to get. Finally found a copy currently downloading, I have really got to get Broadband..... (Sorry wayyyyyy off topic - didnt get a lot of sleep)
Had a look at the Fuego.... Nice, in Manchester and frankly at £500 a snip!
Not sure if I am man enough to take the plunge though!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

What was the name of those funnt Talbot rust traps which looked a bit like a very early berlingo?
Saw one at the motor show, and now cant remember what it was called.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

The Talbot Rancho.
Nice design for the time, but not exactly rust proof....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

No, like so many 60's &70's designed icons - reduced to a puddle of FeSo4 and water.
Owned an Austin 1300 - it rusted.
Owned an Alfasud - it rusted.
Owned an Alfa Arna (remember them???) - Guess what.... It rusted!
All great cars except for one small point.... zero rustproofing.
(yes its a Nissan Cherry - with an Alfa H4 engine)
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

yes its a Nissan Cherry - with an Alfa H4 engine
Great, just what we all needed. Italian build quality, with Japanese "styling"....