c5 handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

c5 handbrake

Post by jgra1 »

hi all, a bit of advice needed..

car failed yesterday on the near side handbrake.. I could feel the slack in the lever for a few weeks.. ordered the new cable and guide and have just set about fitting.. but there is nothing wrong with old cable..

however, the lever arm on the caliper is fairly tight to turn and doesn't spring back..

what would you do?
I am wondering if it is best to fit another caliper, (which means I may well be carless for a few days, not ideal) or to try and free this one up a bit in-situ, or to remove this caliper from car and take to workshop? (how ,uch dismantling would I need to do)

Have never worked on c5 brakes before.. am I right in saying they are conventional i.e. with brake fluid not hydraulic?

If so, that opens up a whole mess of bleeding and two people..

any help appreciated,
John

will go back outside now and put the heat shield etc back on
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: c5 handbrake

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Disconnect the cable from the lever then spray around where the lever enters the calliper with WD40 and work the lever back and forth until it comes free, it could take some time The lever going back to the stop is necessary for the brake to adjust.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

the plot thickens..
I did replace the drivers side handbrake cable 2 years ago, certain it was that side.

just had a look at both calipers..

with both cables unhooked, the passenger side cable moves much more freely than the drivers side.. but the drivers side caliper springs back instantly, the passenger takes a few seconds..

but.. if I try to turn the levers using a grip, the drivers side doesn't move much, maybe 5mm, and the passenger side moves more like 10-15mm

edit :

ahh! thanks gibbo! sounds like the passenger side has gone out of adjustment because it wasn't returning to the stop ! :lol:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Don't be afraid to pull a caliper apart and rekit.

I've seen corrosion between the dust boot piston seal, that was enough to make the piston well stuck (and therefore not very effective). Can take awesome pressure to release this, sometimes if you can remove the piston dust boot you can get enough light lube/solvent in the clearance to allow screwing in/out and some freeing up - but it still then needs a full overhaul once apart.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Since refurb calipers are avaiable at a very good price, it's not really worth dong it yourself.
Freeing the brake lever may last long term, a day or two, or anything in between. Mine eventually gave in to metal fatigue through being freed so often :? Having fitted a refurb caliper, I realise that I should have done so ages before and saved myself a lot of hassle.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks both...

handbrake already feels much better after a few wiggles.. will come back to it tomorrow..

right now, I just need an MOT :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Disconnect the cable from the lever then spray around where the lever enters the calliper with WD40 and work the lever back and forth until it comes free, it could take some time The lever going back to the stop is necessary for the brake to adjust.
i agree with all of this except that orible W stuff, it should be entered into the forum censor box, to have it replaced by Plus gas, duck oil or even at diesel fuel, when required as a penetrating fluid,
jgra1 wrote: Have never worked on c5 brakes before.. am I right in saying they are conventional i.e. with brake fluid not hydraulic?

If so, that opens up a whole mess of bleeding and two people..

any help appreciated,
John

not really John
just purchase one of these

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage ... -eezibleed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they are very good
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ummm.....the constant problem.....I agree with dnsey

My mk1 had this problem for 2 years before I decided I could not trust the calipers any more, the ONLY way is to rebuild them or put on exchange/new calipers. ALL methods are short term and the problem will one day delay you or bugger up the disks.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks all

yesterday, all I had here was 3-1 .. that's done something useful.. I went to nearest garage this am and got some WD*** .. sprayed that, took the spring off, wiggled and the car is all back together.. the lever has only a slight slack, and that goes after a second..
I may even leave the car with handbrake off from now on.. just so the actuators are always in the rest position..

with the car back on the ground, and the wheels in the air, one at a time, I got a 50cm bar and a 19mm on a wheel nut.. both wheels locked solid before the first click..
with wheels on ground in 1st gear on one click, its just possible to move the car /engine running / clutch only - only just..

last week the MOT brake results were NS - 19KgF / OS 361KgF - imbalance 94

later on I read HANDBRAKE - >=16% 24%
Hand brake - PASS

the overall test result for the braking sheet is a PASS

no idea :lol: it failed on no effort from the NS HB :?

thanks for all pointers.. will probably rebuild caliper when spring arrives or I next go near the brake system

Have an easy bleed and now a vac bleed.. presumably I can just clamp the local pipe, rebuild caliper, and just bleed that one corner?

8-)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jgra1 wrote:thanks all

yesterday, all I had here was 3-1 .. that's done something useful.. I went to nearest garage this am and got some WD*** .. sprayed that,
John
why go out a purchase that orible W stuff, when what you already had/used was actually a lubricant/oil :? #-o :wink: , and that W stuff is a moisture displacent
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jgra1 wrote:
Have an easy bleed and now a vac bleed..
you only require one or tother John

jgra1 wrote:
presumably I can just clamp the local pipe, rebuild caliper, and just bleed that one corner?
yes thats exactly what i would do
Regards, malcolm.

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

citronut wrote:
jgra1 wrote:thanks all

yesterday, all I had here was 3-1 .. that's done something useful.. I went to nearest garage this am and got some WD*** .. sprayed that,
John
why go out a purchase that orible W stuff, when what you already had/used was actually a lubricant/oil :? #-o :wink: , and that W stuff is a moisture displacent
'tis the same as Plus gas same milk in a different bottle :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I have PG but its in the workshop, decided to tackle this job at home.. ;)

wd is useful about the house..

'you only require one or tother John' thanks Malcolm :) I got the vac bleed for the bike.. good old Honda linked braking system :O
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I might be wrong, but I think special tools will be required to rebuild the handbrake mechanism.
Let us know what you find - I have a theory that the mech rusts internally from water in the brake fluid.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

If working on the brakes make sure that you do not allow the fluid to drain completely. If you do you will probably need a diagnostic tool to activate the ABS pump in order to properly bleed the system. This is now the case for most cars.