c5 sat navigation screen

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

scottspark

c5 sat navigation screen

Post by scottspark »

Hi new to the forum. I was driving along the other day listing to music then I noticed the sat navigation screen flickered and just went blank. I pulled over and flicked through the modes and the screen changes through the different modes as you can see different colour lights appearing but no display.
Any ideas on a fix for this. I've been browsing but can fine anything, car is c5 exclusive 2008 on
Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: c5 sat navigation screen

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I can think of various reasons a screen can fail, but the first question I would ask is; is the screen lit or black? If it is unlit, can you (with the aid of a torch and looking closely) read anything on the screen?

The reason I ask these questions are simple. On the old, deep TVs they way they worked generated their own light so you could see what was on the screen. However, on todays screens this is not the case, so they need a backlight to make the image visible. If this system fails you cannot see the image.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Check the wires, maybe the 2 connectors came loose, between the screen and the nav unit (which is it btw: RT4, RNEG, ...?) ... For that, you'd need to pull out the entire screen cover (that goes to the co-drivers door, not that hard, but you'd need a plastic tool not to damage it), unscrew the screen (4 torx screws), and check the connections ... if they appear ok, you'd need to pull the nav unit out (specific tools) and re-check the back connectors ... not sure if Lexia would help identify the root cause, it has some screen tests, but if there is no connection to the screen, the tests would of course fail ...
scottspark

Post by scottspark »

Thanks for replying. I took the screen out yesterday all connections were fine. The screen is lit and mostly white with lines down it, when in sat navigation mode the lines change colour/move but no display
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Would it be possible to take a photo of the screen and post it here?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The fact that the screen is white means that the backlight is working. The extra fact that the screen changes when in sat nav mode could indicate the main system is working. I would be inclined to check the connections, and (if the units can be opened easily) to see if any modules have come loose within the units.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
scottspark

Post by scottspark »

hi here is a pic
so your reckon the screen itself should be fine just a connection issue somewhere

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

That's my guess, I'd pull the nav unit out, disconnect the quadlock (biggest one, has a down release lock) and the LDVS cable (quare, metal connector), then reconnect them and see what happens ... if nothing changes, in case the wires are alright, then it could actually be the screen itself, that somehow somewhere something came loose in the screen pins/wiring ... maybe it suffered a hit with something (bag, or whatever) ... or, not impossible, factory error with poor soldering, that just came to light ...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot guarantee that the screen is OK. My experience of flat screens is not great, but I do know that the backlight system is a common reason for failure.

Imagine the system is similar to a PC. The CPU generates the details, passes them over to the graphics card, which completes the generation, converts it to a format to allow transmission through the cabling, where it is received by the screen, converted back into usable data, and then shown on the screen. Your problem could be anything in that chain.

I would still be inclined (if it were mine) to open up the units and investigate. Check all connections are secure, and that any modules are properly seated. If there are any chips in sockets make sure they are fully seated in their sockets (as they can lift themselves out due to thermal creep, where the temperature changes that occur when the kit power up and down cause the chip to slowly expand and contract, lifting it slowly out of the socket).

If you know what to look for, dry solder joints can also be fixed easily. A normal clean solder joint is bright and shiny, a dry joint is a dull grey colour. A cracked solder join could also cause this problem, and requires close inspection of the boards. The joint would still (probably) be bright and shiny, but with a black ring in it around the leg of the soldered item. Careful soldering can easily fix these joints.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 12 Nov 2014, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
scottspark

Post by scottspark »

Thanks for all the info will get it out and double check all connections
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

I'm sure the unit you have will be RT4, does the music store on the harddrive along with the maps? Drop this chap a PM he is extremely included up on satnav http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/m ... le&u=17218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

@ Trainman - thanks for advertising me, but I've already stated my (possible) solutions here ... :D ...
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

#-o should have put my specs on......... :oops:

:rofl2: :rofl2:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
scottspark

Post by scottspark »

Where does the other end of the ldvs cable go. Is the a connection I can check aswell.
Thanks
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The LVDS connects the screen and the nav unit, nothing in between