Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

citronut wrote:
nice MK9 pussy????
Not quite Malcolm, but the original drawing isn't that good and you are very close, but the 1956 date puts it back to a Mark VII

now If it were a MK9 pussy the dash may have looked like this

Different radio, looks a bit more modern-may not have even needed a vibrator :)

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 29 Oct 2014, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Different radio, looks a bit more modern-may not have even needed a vibrator:)
No likely not but may have been a hybrid having both valves and transistors. Early transistors could not work well at radio frequencies but they could make good audio power amplifiers so many car wirelesses had special valves in the RF sections, ones that could run with an HT of just 12v on their anodes and be quite frugal on power, and early germanium power transistors in the audio output stages, things like the Mullard OC2x series or the Newmarket NKT4xx series... There may have en a few OC7x and 8x transistors in the early audio stages too...

Audio power transistors were a boon for the car wireless as audio output valves needed the high voltage only a vibrator could supply and they were terribly inefficient along with being noisy, both audibly and RF-wise. In the days it was hard to tell if interference was originating from the engine ignition system or the vibrator power supply...

Most of these early transistors were PNP types so suited the positive earth of the cars a treat.

None were VHF sets, strictly long and medium wave... VHF was still something of a new and scary world for wireless engineers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Malcolm, I think you deserve a bottle of "Big Cat" Stout from Stroud Brewery for identifying the Jag to within an accepted degree of accuracy...

I am sure its very nutritious, and full of goodness... the soil association seem to like it :!:

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Might as well show a Jaguar Mk VII in all its glory

regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A bit of development as well as the radios, from the Mk V through to the Mk IX all the major instruments were away from the steering wheel in the middle of the dash. With the Mk X, the speedo and rev counter adopted the view through the steering wheel position.

This is a nice example of the Mark X, which despite its slightly caved in-grill, is quite a head-turner

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What a gorgeous dash 8-)

There's just nothing to touch walnut when it comes to making a proper dash is there? Beautiful!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Think of Devon's literary heritage and the location of the ford will be revealed. Apparently the local inn is now pretty good, after its former incarnation was described on trip advisor thus:
After a fantastic walk along the river we all decided to stop off and get a drink, the lady serving us looked like she had been smacked round the face with a wet fish, a smile and a thank you won't cost you anything!!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Literary being Lorna Doone...

The location is Badgworthy water, Malmsmead...

Between Porlock and Lynton...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh and the bus is a special narrow-bodied one specially made for negotiating the narrow roads in the region...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Well done Jim....googely search or stored knowledge?

Spot on with Lorna Doone, and the location looks worth a visit.

Hope you didn't get detoured on a "Tarka the Otter" trail

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I was born and dragged up down that way Neil :) I spent a lot of my childhood near there. I was not sure of exactly where as there are loads and loads of little settlements like that in the area and they all look very similarly beautiful. In fact the whole area is just one big feast for the senses in all ways. I recommend a visit there and a drive up Porlock Hill!

Your literary clue enabled me to confirm my thoughts about where it was exactly...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I think we did Porlock Hill when we spent a couple of weeks in Ilfracombe in July 1969, One small step for us but a giant leap for our ageing Vauxhall Victor! (yes our holiday co-incided with man landing on the moon)

Decisions, decisions personally I would turn left every time. Pleased that the local neighbourhood watch put their twopenneth in to a bit of street furniture that just doesn't have enough words on it :!:

I like a decent hill climb. I remember we did Hard Knott Pass in the lake district which was quite challenging.

ImageImage

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, turn left every time :-D My first drive up Porlock Hill was in my first car, a Mini. It struggled. On the way up I found the clutch was slipping and on the way down I found out just how bad the valve stem oil seals were. The cloud of smoke as I put my foot down at the bottom of the hill was spectacular...

At the top of the hill there was always an RAC telephone box with a big water tank painted in RAC colours beside it. The water was there for the inevitable boil-ups on the ascent. Indeed I found my first Pug 405 cooling fans were broken going up the hill...

I think the RAC box and tank has now gone sadly. Cars no longer routinely boil dry as they did and everyone has a mobile...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

If you click on this link you will find out exactly how much this was sold for

Would certainly be a conversation piece in the corner of the living room

regards Neil

ps this of course is Britain's steepest road

Its just a bit steeper than Vale Street in Bristol
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the newer RAC box Neil, back in my younger days it was a really lovely little old cottagey-style one with an almost pagoda roof...

The one in the picture went cheaply considering its former location and history..

That street. Aberystwyth? Seen some like that there...
Jim