Bah humbug! A retreat for those lacking in Xmas spirit

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Bah humbug! A retreat for those lacking in Xmas spirit

Post by daviemck2006 »

northern_mike wrote:I've always detested Christmas, but this year I'm going to make a proper effort and enjoy it instead of being a miserable sod.

That said, no idea what I'm going to do on Xmas day as it's my first night shift out of 4 in a row, and the missus and nipper will be away for a few days (because I'm on nights)
Sleep lol
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

daviemck2006 wrote:
northern_mike wrote:I've always detested Christmas, but this year I'm going to make a proper effort and enjoy it instead of being a miserable sod.

That said, no idea what I'm going to do on Xmas day as it's my first night shift out of 4 in a row, and the missus and nipper will be away for a few days (because I'm on nights)
Sleep lol

I can never manage that on the day before my first night shift. The issue is that I do two 7-7 days before, so I'm naturally awake about 8am anyway. It won't be busy that night either, I imagine some dozing will be done..
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

When I was on shifts we had 3 days off before our earlies which involved me being up before 2 am. The first one was always the worst. Sleep was not an option either at work, I tried it and drove through a privacy barrier at the entrance to Aberdeen airport!

I used to enjoy Xmas though. I hate it now that my kids are all above 20 and I am on my own and can't work. It's the same as the other 364 days of the year only worse cos the telly is crap.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I hate the fake-ness. Either I give a rat's about someone or I don't; no matter what the day or season.

And everything being shut, makes long drives require some planning for fuel and refreshments. The time I ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere at night, and had to empty the chainsaw fuel tank into the car just to get going (35km from closest pay-at-the-pump service station), was cutting things a bit fine!
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:I hate the fake-ness. Either I give a rat's about someone or I don't; no matter what the day or season.
It's all a load of crap, but the little kids love it, they can grow out of it like me when they like.. I've decided this year for one of the Christmas parties they'll all be going to that I will be Father Christmas, and arrive in a suitably sleigh-shaped 3 wheeler, suitably decorated with tinsel and christmassy items and a sack on the luggage rack. The kids will love that.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That Santa commitment just reminded me of someone who "fursuited" a social occasion as Pedo Bear. I thought it hilarious because of a total lack in PC, but many others were horrified when they (mis)understood the garb.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote: I've decided this year for one of the Christmas parties they'll all be going to that I will be Father Christmas, and arrive in a suitably sleigh-shaped 3 wheeler, suitably decorated with tinsel and christmassy items and a sack on the luggage rack. The kids will love that.
They will Mike and I think you have the potential to be a great Father Christmas :) And the DRK Sleigh will be lovely. Take some pictures of you and it won't you :wink:

Get those Ho Ho Hos practised...

I'm really looking forward to my Christmas food. Still not decided yet what I'm cooking for Christmas day...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I believe that I am spending Christmas in Sussex, with most of my family. Almost certainly NOT turkey, as Bob feels it is boring. Last Christmas it was a rack of beef, and OH BOY, was it good. OK, we did have a Christmas pudding, one of the Waitrose Hidden Orange ones.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I agree with Bob :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

So do I. Give me a decent beef or gammon any day.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Apart from the usual joking and having a grump, you are best to enjoy every day really. Christmas is a mish mash of many festivals.
They are there as a symbolic pick me up of human inventiveness. Anything that beats away the darkness and crap weather is fine by me. Yule logs, Paganism the lot........bring it on.
Winter Solstice is what I love really.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:Yule logs
Yum Yum. I love Yule Logs :mrgreen:

I also love Stollen too.. Must try to make some this year...
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Jings Jim. For a moment, I thought you were going to say you loved Stollen Cars! :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I heard tell of somebody who got caught with a load of stolen Stollen!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

lexi wrote:They are there as a symbolic pick me up of human inventiveness. Anything that beats away the darkness and crap weather is fine by me.
I fancy a heroin habit would help beat away the darkness over winter. I would develop one myself, but I believe it's a bit moreish.