Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:I guess that could technically cover them as long as they asked Jim :)
Yes, absolutely. At least they asked...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

northern_mike wrote:It's checked against the reg when they put the details into their computer....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... script.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1: at 10:42 in the above publication The DVLA system no longer requires a vehicle to be insured to apply for the new keepers tax.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

How can their online system do this as far as I'm aware it checks it at that stage?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

There has to be some slack.
The ordinary 'one-car' motorist will call his insurers to advise when he intends collecting a new car, and the cover is transferred at the agreed time. In most cases, he will want to apply for RFL in advance of collection in a similar way, but the insurance will not be in place at the time of the application.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

dnsey wrote:There has to be some slack.
Having been hit by an uninsured driver, and my brother having a rather more serious accident after being hit by one - still affected by injuries 18 years later, I assure you there has to be NO slack whatsoever.

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I don't mean by any means that there should be any slack, but that the system is so ill-conceived that it won't work without any. If you have to take out insurance before you can tax the car, you can't tax it until your old car is no longer insured (under normal circumstances). One way or another, this is likely to encourage people to drive uninsured in order to be able to tax a new car in advance of collection.
If it is indeed true that insurance is no longer required when buying tax, I suspect that this is the reason.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

As to insurance when I changed cars, and have changed a few in the last couple of years, my insurance have not asked the time of changing, only the day. Both cars covered for the whole day. The new tax thing, I would be driving untaxed to get to the post office or home onto the computer to tax it. Would the car be untaxed? I would say no because the dvla wouldn't know it has changed hands until the v5 arrived there a few days later. I'm surprised that you can tax it without insurance in place. The post office have the information about the insurance and mot up on their screens. Then it may take a few days for the insurance company to get the information on line. I have no problem personally with the new system, and as someone who dabbles in the odd car as a money maker it won't bother me in the slightest.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

northern_mike wrote:
That's a very sweeping generalisation there.. not a particular pleasant one either. Have you taken to reading the Daily Mail?

my opinion is formed from watching the police stop type program's on the box,

so are you saying its not just immigrants doing this then Mike :shock: :roll: :evil:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Fake Concern wrote: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... script.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1: at 10:42 in the above publication The DVLA system no longer requires a vehicle to be insured to apply for the new keepers tax.
Peter
i think what it comes down to is, you just do not require a hard copy of your insurance certificate or MOT to pay for road tax, but you will still need to be insured before you can pay for road tax
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:
northern_mike wrote:
That's a very sweeping generalisation there.. not a particular pleasant one either. Have you taken to reading the Daily Mail?

my opinion is formed from watching the police stop type program's on the box,

so are you saying its not just immigrants doing this then Mike :shock: :roll: :evil:
I'm sure one of our members will agree that the Police Stop! programmes on the telly don't represent reality that well... The ones I see seem to stop a lot of British chavvy types from Slough council estates.

I know loads of immigrants and they're all fully legal - that includes my otherwise dodgy awful Lithuanian ex-neighbours who I was desperate to see the back of or cause pain for so I had them checked out.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

When my son bought his car a few weeks ago the garage, main pug dealer did not ask for insurance and they taxed the car ready for him picking it up.

I have a cousin who is a postmaster. I asked him about taxing a car which would be registered in Shaun's name and insured in mine. He said no problem we do not check out insurance whilst processing the tax.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:When my son bought his car a few weeks ago the garage, main pug dealer did not ask for insurance and they taxed the car ready for him picking it up.
That's right, valid insurance cover is now no longer necessary to obtain tax....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I taxed the wife's new car online from the document no. on the new keeper slip, very easy and wasn't even asked for a name or address!
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
daviemck2006 wrote:When my son bought his car a few weeks ago the garage, main pug dealer did not ask for insurance and they taxed the car ready for him picking it up.
That's right, valid insurance cover is now no longer necessary to obtain tax....
The car must be insured and show up on the database or else tax won't be issued for it. Quite simple really. They don't need to check at a post office. It's all done at the back end.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

isisalar wrote:I taxed the wife's new car online from the document no. on the new keeper slip, very easy and wasn't even asked for a name or address!
I suppose they presume that as you have the document with the number then it's gone to the right name and address...