Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

Post by MikeT »

northern_mike wrote:
The financial aspect hasn't changed at all unless you like overcharging people for the tax already remaining on a car
Not quite. We used to have a choice to "lose our money" when selling/buying. Now it's forced on sellers and then forced on buyers, ensuring money for nothing on every used car sale.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm sure all the traders will simply pass the cost onto their customers, who will pass it on when they sell the car..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

They won't be able to and are expected to swallow the loss Mike.

And yes it's always been a fact of the system BUT the system allowed this to be mitigated as the amount taxed part way through the month without any tax already on the vehicle was minimal. That £10 per vehicle is VERY conservative.

One of my cars is £280 per year to tax. That's £23 the gov will make from its sale when it goes up. Also think of all the cars that are more than £400 a year to tax.... And lorries and such like that are even more expensive still for their rfl.

The major complaint I have is that the system would actually allow day rebatable rfl upon transfer of the car and online transfer of the vehicle if you had the V5 in front of you. The cost the gov are pouring into uprating their back end infrastructure to cope with the big hits at the end of each month and start isn't cheap either, more wasted money imo.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Fake Concern wrote:
You can now tax a car without having insurance.
I don't think so. A dealer won't release a car to a buyer until they have a copy of an insurance cover note. And if an individual wants to tax a vehicle either online or at PO, MOT & Insurance cover is checked first.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

JohnD wrote:
Fake Concern wrote:
I don't think so. A dealer won't release a car to a buyer until they have a copy of an insurance cover note.
In what strange world do you live? I've never been asked for proof of insurance from a dealer and I reckon I've bought over 50 cars from dealers!

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:They won't be able to and are expected to swallow the loss Mike.
just price the car £40 higher. Cost swallowed. Job done.

I really don't see it as an issue and I've had so many cars over the last few years I've lost count.

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

northern_mike wrote:

In what strange world do you live? I've never been asked for proof of insurance from a dealer
We've bought two cars from Citroen main dealers in the past six months and on both occasions they've wanted confirmation of insurance before releasing them.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Any good main dealer should do as they remove it from their trade policy there is a lag in the system updating so they are legally required to ensure the car is being legally driven away and as such covers under at least a 3rd party policy.

I've personally seen MID take 5 days to update and that's without being involved any people and other times it's shown up the next day without issue.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:Any good main dealer
And other dealers...? Like the thousands registered as traders who sell from their driveways? I've never, ever been asked for proof of insurance apart from when I bought my new Honda back in 2003.

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

They should be doing as they are putting themselves at risk. The other option is that they simply state on a document the buyer buys that they drive it away at their own risk. Some do this but it's not that common.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Fake Concern wrote:
northern_mike wrote:
It'll stop the less inventive nefarious types buying a taxed car and using it without insurance for a start.

the immigrants seem to get away with driving whilst uninsured, well in a round about way that is,
one of them insures the car then they think all there mates can legally drive it, even though the mate is not actually covered on the original policy, and more than likely has no driving license to boot
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:
Fake Concern wrote:
northern_mike wrote:
It'll stop the less inventive nefarious types buying a taxed car and using it without insurance for a start.

the immigrants seem to get away with driving uninsured cars
That's a very sweeping generalisation there.. not a particular pleasant one either. Have you taken to reading the Daily Mail?

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I feel your Pains on the system and how it works but there isn't muh that can be done other than make a ghost licence for them and try to fine them and waste the courts and polices time. Locking them up would be a much better deterrent but we can't do that as the prisons are too full!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:
KP wrote:Any good main dealer
And other dealers...? Like the thousands registered as traders who sell from their driveways? I've never, ever been asked for proof of insurance apart from when I bought my new Honda back in 2003.
I was never asked for proof of insurance when I collected my C1 from a very large main dealer....

They just asked if I had any and I said yes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I guess that could technically cover them as long as they asked Jim :)