Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

Post by KP »

Please sign up and show your support for common sense instead of Rip Off Britain please everyone :)

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.g ... ions/70266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Stupid car tax system needs some sense!

Post by CitroJim »

I agree it's a bit of a rip Will but hey, so is a lot of things...

I really can't see anything is going to change for the better in this respect so best to stop fretting over it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Erm it's always been the case that you lose the rest of the months tax when cashing it in, or only get a part-month when buying an untaxed car as most seem to be these days.

Not really sure what the whingers are complaining about really. The fact they can't overcharge the buyer for the remaining tax themselves?

It'll stop the less inventive nefarious types buying a taxed car and using it without insurance for a start.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

northern_mike wrote:
Not really sure what the whingers are complaining about really. The fact they can't overcharge the buyer for the remaining tax themselves?
isnt that link from a .gov web site though Mike????
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

What we are complaining about is that now the system is fully digital there is nothing to stop them rebating on the day the car is sold and taxing from the day the car is sold. When you sit and think about it the new system will get £100's of millions in extra rfl from doing bugger all. As someone who buys and sells the odd car it's a pita for me now and adds extra expense to my overheads for it :(
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That's from the Government e-petitions website Malcolm. Anyone can set up a petition there. If it gets 100,000 signatures the House of Commons has to debate it.

In this case it seems the whingers want to waste our taxes complaining about something that's always been the case.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

KP wrote:What we are complaining about is that now the system is fully digital there is nothing to stop them rebating on the day the car is sold and taxing from the day the car is sold. When you sit and think about it the new system will get £100's of millions in extra rfl from doing bugger all. As someone who buys and sells the odd car it's a pita for me now and adds extra expense to my overheads for it :(
True. You only get refunded for a full month, and nothing for the part month used. However, you have to pay for full months even if there are only a few days of the current month. This means that (if I am right) the government is making on average £10 each time a car changes hands. With (according to the web) 2.73 million used cars changes hands each year, this equates to £27.3 million in the Treasury that they didn't really earn, just stole by changing the rules!

One way around this is to claim the tax back on the end of the month, with the new owner purchasing the car (and tax) the following day. Not realistic though, as people aren't robots (they don't want to wait for their 'new' car or get rid of their 'old' car), and the DVLA website couldn't handle over 200,000 tax hits in a day.

At least the old way allowed the tax to remain on the car, and become a selling point. Yes, if you claimed the tax back you didn't get the part month, but that was your choice. If you left it on the car you could reasonable expect a fair price, and if you were the buyer that was a bit less paperwork to worry about for now.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 11 Oct 2014, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

But - as you point out, loss can be circumvented/minimised by a little planning and discipline. Clever, and the anarchy of people crashing a government site by doing nothing wrong, amuses me.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure that the PWB are well aware of the extra 'unearned income'* and will put it to good use :roll:
They would only find another means to acquire it that would probably hurt more.

* There is also a tax on unearned income and guess who would pay that :!:
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

northern_mike wrote:
It'll stop the less inventive nefarious types buying a taxed car and using it without insurance for a start.

You can now tax a car without having insurance.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Fake Concern wrote:
northern_mike wrote:

How?

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:When you sit and think about it the new system will get £100's of millions in extra rfl from doing bugger all.
This was always the case with the old system. If you cashed the tax in on a car on the 18th and I bought it on the 25th and needed to use it before this October, the same money is lost to the govt.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
KP wrote:What we are complaining about is that now the system is fully digital there is nothing to stop them rebating on the day the car is sold and taxing from the day the car is sold. When you sit and think about it the new system will get £100's of millions in extra rfl from doing bugger all. As someone who buys and sells the odd car it's a pita for me now and adds extra expense to my overheads for it :(
True. You only get refunded for a full month, and nothing for the part month used. However, you have to pay for full months even if there are only a few days of the current month. This means that (if I am right) the government is making on average £10 each time a car changes hands. With (according to the web) 2.73 million used cars changes hands each year, this equates to £27.3 million in the Treasury that they didn't really earn, just stole by changing the rules!
The only rule that has been changed is that you can't sell the tax with the car. Good thing IMO. The financial aspect hasn't changed at all unless you like overcharging people for the tax already remaining on a car

Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

northern_mike wrote:
Fake Concern wrote:
northern_mike wrote:

How?

If you go to the Post Office for tax, you no longer need MOT or Insurance with you & they no longer check on line, it is up to you to have it in place.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It's checked against the reg when they put the details into their computer....