"Foot on Brake" Driving

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

"Foot on Brake" Driving

Post by addo »

Is this common in the UK?

As in, people who seem totally unaware their light foot pressure on the brake pedal, is triggering their car's brake lights. Obviously, this is more an automatic car thing.

I remember when LED brake lighting was first being proposed, the suggestion was it's safer because it lights up faster than an incandescent globe array. In reality, I feel that (here, at least) any gain is squandered by the huge number of drivers causing their brakes to come on unnecessarily.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: "Foot on Brake" Driving

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Is this common in the UK?
Can't say I've noticed it much when in motion but it's a terrible problem at traffic lights. They can't all be autos...

When I'm in my auto I always knock the transmission into N and if need be, pop the handbrake on when at the lights unless I know they're going to change soon.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
Can't say I've noticed it much when in motion but it's a terrible problem at traffic lights. They can't all be autos...
With some cars that have an auto electric parking brake where it's applied automatically each time the car stops, it also causes the brake lights to illuminate yet if the parking brake is applied manually on the same car it doesn't illuminate the brake lights, I can't even begin to work out the reasoning behind that one!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
With some cars that have an auto electric parking brake where it's applied automatically each time the car stops, it also causes the brake lights to illuminate yet if the parking brake is applied manually on the same car it doesn't illuminate the brake lights, I can't even begin to work out the reasoning behind that one!
That really is quite bizarre!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I was learning to drive my instructor said that, if I believed I would be stopped for more than 5 seconds, I should use the handbrake and pop the car into neutral. That way, I would not dazzle drivers behind me, and if somebody hit the back of me, as the handbrake was on and the car was in neutral, she shouldn't move forward that much and extend the accident.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i find modern brake lights very irritating, whilst stopped behind someone at traffic lights or junction with there foot on the brake,
why do they need to be so bright they burn the back of your eye balls :roll: #-o
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:i find modern brake lights very irritating, whilst stopped behind someone at traffic lights or junction with there foot on the brake,
why do they need to be so bright they burn the back of your eye balls :roll: #-o
At least you can see them Malcolm.. Something that was not always the case years ago...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
citronut wrote:i find modern brake lights very irritating, whilst stopped behind someone at traffic lights or junction with there foot on the brake,
At least you can see them Malcolm.. Something that was not always the case years ago...
Even recently.

It has always amazed me how rubbish Jaguar rear lights were, pre-Ford.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Some lorries and buses had terrible stop/tail lights years ago...

Some still have...

I wonder sometimes how some cars can get away with such tiny rear indicators. Audi seem to have ones that are barely visible now. just a slit of flashing orange light...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I find it difficult with some cars to see their front indicators, especially if they are small and they have DRLs on too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, same here Mike. It's verging on dangerous on some cars...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Yes, same here Mike. It's verging on dangerous on some cars...
It is and I think the C5 verges on it. Fortunately the repeaters are generally visible too.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

northern_mike wrote:I find it difficult with some cars to see their front indicators, especially if they are small and they have DRLs on too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Yes given the amount of other illumination it leaves the 21w bulb not so clearly obvious as they used to be!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

CitroJim wrote:Some lorries and buses had terrible stop/tail lights years ago...

Some still have...

I wonder sometimes how some cars can get away with such tiny rear indicators. Audi seem to have ones that are barely visible now. just a slit of flashing orange light...
Although when the "Barry Boys" get involved with their rear lights they end up being dimmer (like the driver) when they get smoked/tinted with tights, paint etc, and end up not providing enough light when braking, and no illumination when the lights are on.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ACTIVE8 wrote: smoked/tinted with tights,
ooh eer missus, smoked tinted and wearing tights :shock: :dom: , is that fish net :yikes: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years