C5 Suspension pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andybsmith

C5 Suspension pump

Post by andybsmith »

Hi brainiacs I have a question, my suspension pump motor has died (it was full of grot and what looked like an ex-capacitor was blown apart) I assume the ECU is on the pump part of the assembly so is it possible to get another motor and then put that on the pump? If this can be done will any motor from a C5 suspension pump assembly fit? The old motor separated from the pump assembly quite easily so I assume another motor would attach in the same fashion. As far as the wiring goes I have checked supply to the pump and one wire give 12v with ignition on the other smaller single wire I believe to be the on/off from the ecu. I don't have access to a lexia and don't want to have to reset the ecu, so simply bolting another motor seems the best easiest option. BTW car is a 2003 C5 2.2 hdi exclusive.
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: C5 Suspension pump

Post by citroenxm »

you WILL need a Lexia - I beleve to depressureise and re pressure the hydraulic system before you remove any pipes.. I cant answer if its possible to remove the motor and not disturb the hydraulic section...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I must have mentioned this a thousand time on here but.....
YOU DONT NEED LEXIA TO DE PRESSURISE THE SUSPENSION ON HYDRACTIVE 3 & 3+ SYSTEMS
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My recollection of this is rather vague but there was on member replaced the pump motor+ECU and couldn't get it to work, apparently needed a Lexia, which he didn’t have.

He put the original ECU onto the replacement motor and all was fine.

There are links to previous threads (not every one) on suspension pump problems here.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

We so need a "Like" button for posts as that of Wheeler. :mrgreen:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

myglaren wrote:My recollection of this is rather vague but there was on member replaced the pump motor+ECU and couldn't get it to work, apparently needed a Lexia, which he didn’t have.

He put the original ECU onto the replacement motor and all was fine.

There are links to previous threads (not every one) on suspension pump problems here.
There are only three options that need configuring in the BHI (suspension ECU), tyre size, whether the car has xenon headlamps or not & whether the car has variable power steering or not (V6 only). If the replacement is off the same spec car then it's a straight swap, no programming required. To depressurise the system you can either use lexia to do it or a small spanner. There is a small valve on each axle that you can open to release the pressure in the system. Remember if the BHI fails completely then you may not even be able to get lexia to even talk to it. To re pressurise the system lexia is not used at all but sometimes a hand pump like a cooling system pressure tester is required.
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

Newish motor fitted to old pump system bled/pressurised car lifts up and down ok, but I now have a anti-pollution warning, would/could this be caused by me stupidly disconnecting the suspension ecu with battery still connected?
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Anti-pollution is a very generic warning that can be caused by just about any fault on the engine.

Have you taken it for a test drive since the battery was reconnected ? Some temporary faults may clear after a drive, but if the fault persists you need to get it on a Lexia to find out what its actually complaining about.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

wheeler wrote:I must have mentioned this a thousand time on here but.....
YOU DONT NEED LEXIA TO DE PRESSURISE THE SUSPENSION ON HYDRACTIVE 3 & 3+ SYSTEMS

LOL, have you got that on a keystroke now :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Jovani
My Cars:

Post by Jovani »

Here's our photo report on the repair of the hydraulic pump. I apologize in advance for bad English - for faster translation we use Google Tanslate
Raise the vehicle on a max. position, jacking, removing the right wheel and the front of the fender. Leaning car pivot holder and placed in the lowest position REQUIRED!!!. Deprsharize using LEXIA or other means to loosen the air vent on the right WING INNER FRAME.In the end, disconnect the battery.
To remove the tank, top detaches Reversed top, underneath the fender from the tire return hose and drain into a clean container / tube oil
Lift tank and it is another disconnected Reversed and suction hose
Once removed tank, detachable Reversed pump and the coupling of the electronic block
Continuing with disconnecting the suction hose from the pump to the suspension and from the pump to the rudder servo
Following two tubes of high pressure to the front and rear axles. Particular attention to the two green "O" ring - one fell, but found it. Without them there is no seal then.
After unscrewing the nuts on the rear pads and disconnecting the motor cables take out dead pump. Unscrewed from the pump to the hydraulic unit is removed the back cover, remove the wiper shaft is furnished and management, pull gently pump, store counter of the box and develop rotor box - with a reverse thread.
It totally disassembling and cleaning. At the front end of the pump shaft has a nut underneath circlip - is removed. Camp hood is kapselovan but munched - change for pennies. Back is a bronze bushing - after washing lubricated.
And that is the culprit for problems.
Because things smack ...
we decided to see what was in the control unit of the engine, but the bastards have it covered with black paint, though in good will could get our hands on the marking of transistors
After a wash, it is as ever wash all offal motor
We changed the front bearing, rotor went fine grinding and balancing
Assemble in reverse pump smeared with black silicone management (factory was also smeared) and assemble the car
Pour oil and now attention - to be swell tank with over 0.5 atm. pressure to be able to lift the pump. Quite straining fell :) dry after repair pump is not heard, and quite disturbing. Is less citroaerobik (up and down) and move the car in the shade cleaning mistakes and train his brain
In the end a video
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jovani, a most excellent post :-D

Many thanks for this. I'm sure many will find it very valuable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bighairybloke
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 1975 GS Break
6x DS
2x H van
2cv
Acadiane
C5
Xara Picasso
CX Mk2 Prestige Turbo 2 RHD

Post by bighairybloke »

Jonavi, what was the symptoms of the failure on your car? Mine has very slow lift, but electric motor sounds normal?

Cheers
Steve
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

He hasn't been on the Forum for nearly 5 years, but I would suggest you change your LDS fluid if it is on the original blood.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jovani
My Cars:

Post by Jovani »

First he burns the fuse (MAXI FUSE 40A) and if the problem is not addressed, the мотор burns. The reasons may be many, but the most common is the contamination of the brushes and collectors of graphite dust and oil flowing through the мотор from an incorrect level in the reservoir. I have also had cases of pouring LHM instead of LDS, contaminated fillers in BHI. I would clean the мотор, the filters and put a new LDS
bighairybloke
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 1975 GS Break
6x DS
2x H van
2cv
Acadiane
C5
Xara Picasso
CX Mk2 Prestige Turbo 2 RHD

Post by bighairybloke »

Ok thanks, I will go for cleaning first then. Where are the filters you refer to for LDS? And is there a guide to replacing the lds?
Cheers
Steve