306 power steering problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jerorin
My Cars:

306 power steering problem

Post by jerorin »

My 306 is having this grinding sound from the engine
compartment intermittently.Now it's getting worse.
I suspect it have something to do with the power steering but don't know where the exact source is.Have anyone experience this before?It's really irritating.Regardless of car moving or stationary,the sound will comes on.Moving the steering wheel will make the sound.Need advice please,anybody?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Is the power steering working ok, or has the steering got heavier.
Dave
jerorin
My Cars:

Post by jerorin »

Steering is normal.Whenever I turn the wheel to right or left at max stop the engine rpm will drop a bit and the noise will comes on.I suspect it's the power steering pump.I think the bearing about to give way.Even at a straight road the grinding noise will come on intermittently.
mazidee
My Cars:

Post by mazidee »

Change the belt first. Check all the pulley and roller to be in perfect condition. Although it comes with auto tensioner, some said over tighthen can cause the stress to the power steering pump. New original power steering pump can cost you a whopping RM1,900 !. Potong kereta around RM350 to RM600. Can also use 405 or ZX 1.8 pump. Diesel type has smaller radius.
Mazidee
Malaysia
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hello Malaysia from the UK !! ;)
I would say it may just be worth checking the state of the pas fluid in the resavouir (cant spell that!!)
See if its nice and clean, or burnt black/brown smelling terrible and/or has metalic bits in it.... if so the latter, then I would say you are right about the bearing..
As said, check though the state of the belt first..that "could" be all it is.
You could also try if needed the Forte PAS treatment... I have had wonderful results with that!!
All the best...let us know how you get on...
Mike
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

HUM! I have just seen the date on this topic - JULY !!!!
Ah well.....
jerorin
My Cars:

Post by jerorin »

Been away from the forum for quite a while.I finally solved the problem.The crank shaft pulley was defective.The centre rubber gave way and slippage happenned between the outer and inner metal part.
After replacing it,no more sound coming out from the engine.Cost me
RM280.00.Change it once you know it's defective.The alternator belting will be dislodged and you will be out of power steering,alternator and also a/cond.