What next?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

What next?

Post by bxzx16v »

As some of you may know I sold my Zx16v a few months ago, I've considered getting an Alfa Romeo Gtv 6 or a V6 xantia but due to earache off swmbo I've held off. Another car I've always thought looked appealing was the peugeot 406 V6 coupe and after an autotrader search found one at Wakefield at a reasonable price. So Friday morning I had a run up to have a look at it, also being a manual was a big draw too. I arrived at the garage and found the pug sat in the corner not having moved for weeks by the looks of things. The bodywork was pretty tidy and so was the interior, I got the keys and fired it up, what a glorious sound it made. Sadly not for me though as it wasn't as nice as my old Zx and the seating position was awful, pretty much like one of my most hated cars a ford crapri. Perhaps in my younger days it might have appealed but not now. I really wish that citroen had made a manual V6 xantia. There's absolutely no rush at all to get anything but I just miss that 2nd car sat in the garage just incase the berlingo or freelander ever play up. I've also considered a C4 Vts, possibly a xsara vts and even a pug 206 gti180.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: What next?

Post by CitroJim »

The Pug 406 Coupé is a gorgeous car and is one of the very best lookers of all time. A classic Pininfarina design but like you Mark I find it's gorgeousness is a little spoilt by the driving ergonomics.

It's also spoilt by the suspension, braking and handing when compared to the Xantia. Now if it had been the Citroen Activa as was originally intended then things may have been very different!

Shame really but it still looks bloody lovely 8-)

How about a Pug 407 Coupé or if you want something really special and different, how about a Mazda RX-8?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

The mazda Rx8 is a real gem, the 406 is out Jim as you say due to ergonomics. I've only ever had one Peugeot and that was a 405mi16 and as nice as it was I couldn't really settle with it after numerous bx's so I sold it and got another bx16v. Citroen maybe part of the psa group but you can certainly tell the Citroen models have something over the Peugeot equivalent.

Mark
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: What next?

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:.... really special and different, how about a Mazda RX-8?
I presume Mark wants to actually drive it, than stand looking it, or watch it being towed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

northern_mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:.... really special and different, how about a Mazda RX-8?
I presume Mark wants to actually drive it, than stand looking it, or watch it being towed.

When I was at the local scrappy this week I saw 3 RX8s there, and none appeared to have crash damage (well, one did, but not serious enough to warrant it being there). It seems that people don't know how to service them properly (VERY specific oil and spark plugs!). Team WFA believe that the engine has two states of being; Either about to fail, or failed!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Team WFA believe that the engine has two states of being; Either about to fail, or failed!
Indeed and that applies to most sadly but if you really look after the engine like a baby it'll go on for ever... As you say James, it's all down to good, high quality servicing...

An RX-8 will end up in a scrappy simply because if the engine needs work it'll set you back several arms and a few legs. Around £5K last time we looked into it...

Bloody gorgeous cars though. I still carry a torch for one... With Team WFA's it was so near yet so far... I know of another one with a poorly engine I could possibly get for peanuts.. It's just too tempting...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The RX8 stands as my greatest motoring disappointment. I love the looks and the quirky, but sumptuous interior and the handling is great. Rubbish engine, even when working properly. I wanted one for ages until I actually had the money to buy one and went and test drove one.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

As for what next? I think everyone should at some point own a well-sorted Impreza. A mid-nineties Japanese import without all the chavvy mods that are all too common. The UK ones of that era have about 40bhp less. I was warned when I got it "be careful, this is your first supercar"... 0-60 (timed on the sat nav) less than 5 seconds and 30-90 in less than 8 (a Lotus Cartlon takes 7 dead). A fantastic car for the money and handling so very good. A good one can be had for about £1500-2000. I'll have another at some point when houses have been bought. For now I need diesel economyness.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The RX-8 lack torque I believe Mike...

I really must drive one.

Same goes for the Impreza. Their image puts me off sadly. They just shout 'Barryboy' to me :cry:
Jim

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

A friend at work has just got an mx5 which I will be cleaning up for him, I can't wait for a drive of that.

Mark
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That's the main problem with the Impreza Jim. They're a wonderful car but they attract the (-expletive removed-). It's partly the reason I sold mine. People around me on the road turned into idiots! I got cut up, overtaken, people racing me away from the lights.... It was really odd. I never reacted to them but it got dull. OK, I did react once, to a gent in a BMW who'd been tailgating me down the A30 in passing rain then pulled alongside at the lights clearly thinking he could get the better of my old tub..

I like Staffordshire Bull terriers too. Lovely dogs, but they also suffer from Impreza syndrome in that they are often owned by dickheads.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:The RX-8 lack torque I believe Mike...
Yes. That was my experience. It made driving it "normally" quite annoying. The Impreza had oodles of torque at low revs naturally being a flat-4, and the boost came in at 2 anyway so it was never a problem

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:That's the main problem with the Impreza Jim. They're a wonderful car but they attract the (-expletive removed-). It's partly the reason I sold mine. People around me on the road turned into idiots! I got cut up, overtaken, people racing me away from the lights.... It was really odd. I never reacted to them but it got dull. OK, I did react once, to a gent in a BMW who'd been tailgating me down the A30 in passing rain then pulled alongside at the lights clearly thinking he could get the better of my old tub..

I like Staffordshire Bull terriers too. Lovely dogs, but they also suffer from Impreza syndrome in that they are often owned by dickheads.

I quite agree with all of that. It just makes me so sad Mike :evil: :(
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My sister had a rx-8 a few years ago. It was the higher powered version. I did have a go of it. As others have said absolutely gorgeous car, really lacking in low down torque, but phenomenal power and speed when giving it the beans. Therein lied it's problem. Not much use really for everyday use. And she only got about 14 mpg. She used the horses! Only kept it a few months and lost a fortune on it, then bought a mr2 to replace it, then a mx5. She is now sensible with a year old fiesta 1.4 zetec?????? I do not understand why lol. The mx5 was a lovely thing for pootling about in or having a bit of fun on deserted back roads. Lovely little things, but totally impractical for me, but if it were an extra fun motor, with infrequent use then you could do a lot worse. Don't go for a 1.6, get a 1.8. Sis had one of both, 1.6 a bit underpowered.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I'm going to view a 406 V6 coupe on Monday, it's a one owner from new with peugeot history and a manual box which I prefer. It sounds a very nice example and at a decent price too. I'll post the results on Monday.

Mark