Speed Camera Detectors

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Speed Camera Detectors

Post by martyhopkirk »

I currently run a Bel Speed camera radar / laser detector and find its performance lacking - I was thinking of getting a GPS unit such as the snooper.
Anyone else had a GPS unit and how do they find them?
(I know the alternative is to shave some weight off my lead right foot, but even so Blackpool is sooo littered with speed cameras its untrue)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have a Garmin hand-held unit for use with an o.s. map when I am out in the wilds, and what it does is lock onto the satellites to give a more or less exact location- the camera ones work by being permanantly on and knowing where they, and therefore the cameras are.
They are very good, but only as good as the info thats programmed into them, and you have to keep paying for updates, and they still won't get them all. They will lose the sats when you are in a tunnel, under forest cover, etc, and, going by my handheld can take up to 3 minutes to lock back on again.
At 70 or 80 thats getting on for 4 miles by which time you may have been flashed- better than nothing, though an eyeball for spotting the road marks, camera, etc is most reliable.....
They also don't have the temporary roadworks cameras in either, so don't rely on it too much, though why people insist on caning it through roadworks where men are working and there's contraflows is beyond me!.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Sorry, meant to post this - its where I got mine from, came within 2 days of ordering!
There are pages and pages of reviews as well.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Sorry, meant to post this - its where I got mine from, came within 2 days of ordering!
There are pages and pages of reviews as well.
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co. ... fccf4a5300
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Speed camera dectors. Sorry for this but in a round about way when you purchase a speed camera detector or such like you are probably funding the next speed camera instalation [:0]. It's all in the VAT paid on goods these days [:(!]. The various goverment bodies all get a cut and the manufactues pay VAT on the components of the detector [:(!]. Best to beat the theiving men in black and not by one. stick to eye ball power. [:)] sounds like another goverment stealth tax cover up (rant, rant).
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Not condoning speeding, but sadly in my daily drive i pass no fewer than 26 fixed cameras and the police are often out with the Talivan and laser. The downside is in Blackpool you will be flashed and fined for going over 31mph and teh GATSO cameras opperate at this speed...
On the upside, anything below 34MPH you can get squashed by the Lancashire Partnership For Road Saftey - but this is time consuming and inconvenient - i have had to attend court on 3 occasions due to over zealous Gatsos and coppers and on each occasion had my case thrown out - once was for a fine which came 3 months after the offence (time limit for an offence without being cautioned at the time is 14 days - in practice and allowing for the post say 20 days).
The other two times were for 32 MPH speeding offences. I argued about the reliability of a 12 year old cars odometer, that it wasnt an MOT'able item to check its calibtration and then produced the following newspaper article:
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Talk about climb down eh!! "they don't like it up em pike" LOL