c4 hdi big probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonymustbemad

c4 hdi big probs

Post by tonymustbemad »

Hi everyone, im new to this site so sorry if its been covered but i bought a c4 1.6 hdi and 24 hours after buying it i was driving out of my local asda when the engine dipped in power and started knocking quite badly, it cut out on me and now it wont start but it will turn over with . Squeeling noise, tge dealer i got it from said tuff and hung up on me so im stuck with a car that i cant use, can anyone advise me as to what might have gone wrong and will it cost a lot to fix
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: c4 hdi big probs

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have bad news. The 1.6HDi engine is known for having an oil supply issue that starves the turbocharger, causing it to fail. This is just one of the posts that cover the problem;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=46915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to the forum, by the way, and my apologies for being the bearer of bad news.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tonymustbemad

Post by tonymustbemad »

Thanks for your reply, looks like a scrapper then
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It depends on how bad things are. However, my first port of call would be the dealer, and if that didn't work out, trading standards (as the dealer appears to be less than forthcoming in the customer service department).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
tonymustbemad

Post by tonymustbemad »

Tried talking to the dealer but not a big place, he hung up on me after saying tuff, ive emailed and sent text messages to them but no reply at all, problem is i bought the car sold as seen which i beleive is ilegal for a trader to put that on the reciept, i also traded my car in for th c4 which has now left me with no car, i am a single perent with 3 young kids and could over time do the work myself if the parts are cheap enough lol but not sure if its worth it now
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

TBH it doesn't sound like the turbo is away. I'd be thinking more along the lines of a jumped cam belt, or possibly a seized alternator that is preventing it turning over fast enough. As above, if it was sold retail, the onus is on the dealer to fix it - whatever he says! Even if he wrote sold as seen on the receipt - it depends on the price paid - if it was very cheap, then no chance, but if it was normal price, then he can't get out of it. You might have to sue him though....
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OK, Trading Standards. I believe that goods purchased must be fit for purpose, and this covers second hand goods. T.S. would be able to advise you further.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
tonymustbemad

Post by tonymustbemad »

Ok thanks, will try them and fingers crossed i will get sorted
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Good luck, and I do hope that you get a good outcome. I would get to Trading Standards ASAP in case the dealer tries to shut up shop in a hurry. From what I have seen on the TV programmes (such as Rogue Traders) businesses cannot be wound up if there is an on-going dispute.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
tonymustbemad

Post by tonymustbemad »

Ok thanks mate
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure any correspondence is copied. Personally, I would write to the dealer, setting out that you believe that the car is not of merchandable quality and that you wish to return it for a full refund. In law, you have a limited time to inform the dealer in writing of your complaint so don't delay.

Your right to claim for the cost of repairs
When you purchase a second hand car from a car dealer, under the Sales of Goods Act, you have the right to expect the car to:
be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it, and
be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely).
There’s no exact definition of 'satisfactory quality', although the law lists some factors to be taken into account. When you've bought a second-hand car you must consider the age, price, mileage, description applied, and all other relevant circumstances when trying to decide whether it's of satisfactory quality.
Car dealer If the second hand car you've bought doesn't meet one of these standards, you have the right to ask to return the car or have it repaired. It's also worth remembering that these rights apply only to purchases from a dealer.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
tonymustbemad

Post by tonymustbemad »

Thanks for that, will ring them firstcthing on monday and put a letter together for the dealer