Citroen Xantia HDI LX Aircon & ABS problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia HDI LX Aircon & ABS problems

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Hello fellow Citroen owners. I am new to this site, really because I have some problems.

1- I have a Citroen Xantia HDI LX 90bhp. The ABS warning light had been on for most of the time, although sometimes intermittent, and as I was
putting my car in for an MOT I thought it would be wise to change the sensors. I bought was seems to be good quality sensors and fitted them.
The sensor warning light went off and I passed the MOT. The problem has occurred that when I break at a slow speed, the breaks are failing.
Pressure in the pedal goes and if I am lucky the car will suddenly come to an abrupt halt at the last minute. Obviously I can not drive around like this!
Recently I have noticed that the warning lights have come on briefly 3 times. When this happens, the brakes work perfectly well. Are you aware
of this sort of problem, or do you have any advice? I am thinking about replacing the ABS rings as they are coated in a rusty film and this could
be the problem although I am advised not!

2- I have replaced the compressor of my air conditioning system and had it cleaned and pumped up. It works fine except often it will not turn
off, or comes on when not required. I have replaced the blower fan and it is still the same so there is not a problem with that. Perhaps there is a
relay somewhere? With these problems I would think that it is a simple on/off situation but unfortunately not so! I have had my CPU checked and it is A ok.
But I do still have a slow battery discharge, which my electrician can't find the fault and so has put an isolator switch on the cover.

Thanks for your time, I hope you can help me and I look forwards to hearing from you.

Rob
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Citroen Xantia HDI LX Aircon & ABS problems

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is likely that the reluctor rings have cracked or got clogged with dirt. It is not (theoretically) difficult to replace them, but you will need a very large breaker bar, as the hub nuts are very tight, and need to be done up tightly afterwards. The last post in the following link (probably) has the right reluctor rings for your Xantia (they fitted Gracie, and she is the same spec level as yours);

www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An oven is also useful, to heat up the rings prior to fitting them (so that they expand).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The ABS issue could well be down to having too wide a gap between the sensor and the ring on the driveshaft, often the cause is down to the tin heat shield being placed between the hub and sensor, simply remove the sensor and put the heatshield on top of the sensor.

Re the AC issue, is the airflow direction lever pointing at the windscreen, if so move it away and the AC will turn off, simples :-D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Thanx a lot Hell Razor5543 and DickieG for your swift response. I'll check the things you mention out tomorrow :idea:
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Thanks for your reply to my concerns. I have followed your input and these issues have been fully resolved. Thanks for your help, knowledge and being there,
All the Best!! 8-)
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Post by RobCeaseFire »

The aircon seems to come on when I have the lever full to the right to clear the windscreen. Don't know if is supposed to but it seems to happen. if I push the lever 2 clicks to the left it goes off again. Simples!
The ABS sensors I undid where the heat shield is also bolted on and instead of the heat shield bolted underneath the sensor I bolted it back on top. Apparently the sensors can get too far away from ABS ring so that it wont function properly. Quite an easy job to do, but should put thread lock on the bolt when screwing back.
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Citroen Xantia HDI LX Aircon & ABS problems

Post by Northern_Mike »

RobCeaseFire wrote:The aircon seems to come on when I have the lever full to the right to clear the windscreen. Don't know if is supposed to
Yes it is.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Oh ok thanx for that. Why is there a switch for it as well?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The switch is a manual control for the aircon. However, something that an aircon system does is to dry out the air that passes through it, so when you switch the heater controls to windscreen demist, the aircon is brought into the loop.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RobCeaseFire
My Cars:

Post by RobCeaseFire »

Ok cheers. Still getting to know my car after 8 years - ha ha