xantia 3ltr v6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

michaelhyatt
My Cars:

xantia 3ltr v6

Post by michaelhyatt »

Trouble with the wiring with my 98 exclusive - intermittent conk out - drives beautifully and then just fails.
Garage has given up after 3 repairs of wiring. About to ditch - a new loom is not possible, sad.
Any use to anyone - my local citroen breaker will give me £100 Thanks
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: xantia 3ltr v6

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you were to post up your location and pictures it could help. However, people on the forum might be able to help nail down and fix the fault. Some members have Lexia systems used for fault finding, etc., and are willing to help there;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Does it just completely loose power while you're driving, or is it while you're idling ? Does it restart immediately or do you have to leave it for a while ? More details of when and how it cuts out and starts working again may give some clues.

Without knowing what troubleshooting has already been done, my first guess would be crank sensor - that would cause the engine to completely die but without setting a fault code. Crank sensors can fail when hot then "heal" when they cool down, and work again for a while.

Other likely possibilities are MAP sensor (especially if it stalls while idling) dry joints in the fuse box, a failing fuel pump etc...

The actual wiring loom itself is unlikely to be the problem IMHO, unless its one of the wires that goes under the radiator.

If CitroJim sees this he may have some ideas too.

Have you definitely given up on fixing it ? There's only 76 still left on the road in the UK... :(
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
michaelhyatt
My Cars:

Post by michaelhyatt »

Thanks for that - the crank sensor might be worth mentioning to the garage - when it comes back from repair it usually works for a day or so then starts to conk out again. I did get a mobile electrician round and he just said the wiring is shot - you fix one bit and then something else goes. However the garage also said that they thought the automatic box was also suspect!
Michael
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Michael, where are you please as I'll be the first one to stick my hand up and say I'll have it at that price :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michael,

A Lexia read is a must. If it is the crank sensor - I hope not - it's a bugger to change, then there will be a stored fault to help. Oter stored faults in other ECUs may give a clue too.

Faults like this can take years. I've recently cracked an electrical problem on another V6 that had been going on for three years.

The garage is saying the wiring is shot and there may be a gearbox problem because they know it's beyond them.

I agree with Simon that all should be done to fix as they are lovely cars. Where are you?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

You know me Jim, I'll quite happily make someone else's life easier and relieve them of a V6 to save it if it's save able and not rotten and so far only car I've had thru my hands so far was too rotten to save and you saw it first hand :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:and so far only car I've had thru my hands so far was too rotten to save and you saw it first hand :(
I did and I recall I helped, despite my health at the time, dismantle it. I still have the gearbox out of it here in my workshop :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I know Jim, we did try and make it as easy as possible for you and Chris and Andrew and me did what we could and everyone else who turned up to leave it a rusty shell at the end of the day :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And boy was that shell ever rusty. Never seen one so bad :shock:
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yeah Jim my thoughts as well but I think the series two had less zinc put in the mix but parking facing downhill should rip prevent it in other cars :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I take it the silver problem child isn't nearly as rusty then Will ? ;)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Which was more fragile? That Xantia shell, or the shell of a snail?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Which was more fragile? That Xantia shell, or the shell of a snail?
It's a moot point James :lol:
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ha ha the silver one only has two point of rust Simon so miles better than he last v6 :D