Wierd Lexia Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

h2ocooler
My Cars:

Wierd Lexia Problem

Post by h2ocooler »

Hi Folks
I have had my Lexia for a while now BUT the laptop I used it with died so have not been able to use it (my 2 other laptops are Win7 and Win8 both 64bit)
After having the Mercedes for 4 years I now have come back to the fold, I have a 2003 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive CC, lovely to drive but has a few faults.
Anti pollution come up from time to time and the parking sensors don't work, also want to add a CD changer and change the Eco mode to 60 mins.

Managed to install XP Mode on the Win7 laptop (it is a home version but got the hack to install it) installed Lexia and activated it with no problems.

Went to the car and plugged it in, it recognised the chassis number and type, put in the RPO number (think it is the right one) went to global diagnostics and it started to scan but it will only see the injection ECU, addition heating ECU and the headlamp ECU's (it has Xenons) it does know they are there but has no dialogue with them.

I have managed to get the anti pollution fault (turbo over pressure) but want to get the other things sorted out.

Any ideas as to why its not talking to the other ECU's? it did work perfectly before so hope the box is ok but cannot check it on another car at the moment.

Thanks for any idea's and help.
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Wierd Lexia Problem

Post by DickieG »

Whether it's down to the car or Lexia is very difficult to say as such things have happened to me with both laptop Lexia's and genuine ones, some car have ecu's that won't talk whereas others work fine. I take it you have rebooted the laptop and Lexia a few times, if so and that hasn't made any difference have you tried re-booting the cars BSI?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've found that it's useful to make sure that the diagnostic connector is plugged in very firmly. Obvious, I know, but it seems that the various ECUs communicate via individual pins, which may not always make good contact.
It surprised me that it works that way - I'd have expected each ECU to have its own address, but I suppose it prevents problems with a global interface masquerading as individual faults.
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Hi
yes re booted the laptop a few time and the XPmode and lexia its self but still no luck.
Checked the plugs are in and they are as far as I can tell but will try and push a bit harder.
The only thing that has changed is the laptop, it worked fine on the last one, both lexia and PP2000
Might look for a cheap XP laptop and try that
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

When I visit the UK I'm in the Gravesend area, so could bring my laptop and Lexia along with me so we could test different combinations to see where the problem is, only problem is the next time I'm in the UK is in October, so quite a way away.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi, I'm in Gravesend and have a lexia you could try. PM me and we can arrange to meet up

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It's a known problem that some Chinese clones can't communicate with all ECU's in a C5 2.2HDi - so much so that some Lexia ads on Ebay specifically state theirs (supposedly) works with a C5 2.2HDi.

So it may be that your Lexia has always had this limitation but you didn't have this type of car before. Can you try the Lexia on another model of car to see if it works ok on that ?

Faulty cables (or interface) can also cause lack of communication to some ECU's but not others - because until they (later) switched over to multiplexed wiring systems, each ECU had its own individual signal wire on the diagnostic connector.

Also what version of the software are you using ? Plain Lexia, Diagbox 5, or Diagbox 6 or later ? The version number of the software you're trying to use would be helpful. There are a LOT of different versions out there, some very out of date.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Hi All
I have had this Lexia for a while (5 years I think) and have used it on my old 03 C5 2.2Hdi, another members C5, my dads 02 C5 2.2Hdi and a few Peugeot's with no problems but that was with the old laptop. It has always connected first time every time. My C8 is a 2003 so its not really any newer.
It worked fine that last time on my dads (I de fapped it and then cleared all the faults) and was put back in the box as normal (about 6 months ago) but then the laptop went.

I am using plain old Lexia as I don't have Diagbox, it only came with LExia and PP2000, the version is 345 I think.
It does see the car and gets the chassis number right, enter the RPO number 28074 (its on the sticker in the door and on a sticker by the Engine Ecu)
I select global scan and it knows what Ecu's it has just wont talk to them.

When it is scanning it seems to go very quick through the list not even .5 of a second on each item until the injection ecu and additional heating ecu, it sees them and will work fine on them but nothing else.

I have checked the plugs, all ok, the interface light flashes 3 times then stays on when plugged in (usb)
I think it must be to do with the laptop (its a duel AMD with 3 gig RAM and win7 64bit) or the way it installed.
I do have an old laptop with a smashed screen and I am trying to get a replacement screen now, It has Vista on it but will do a clean install of WinXP and try that.

Bandit Thanks for the offer, I will try this other laptop and if its a no go I will take you up on it.

Rob
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The version of Windows is almost certainly your problem. The Lexia software is so old (original 16bit, I believe) that it cannot work in a 64bit environment. What you could do is to set up a VM configured to 32bit, which has clean access to the USB systems. That should do it (based on what I have read here on the forum).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

I am running it in VM XP mode but think it might be the way its configured
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Wait for Mandrake or Northern_Mike to catch up, as they will be able to give more meaningful advise than I can.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I know that there are some issues with XP Home with Lexia, but I wouldn't have thought you'd get as far as you do if that was the case.

I'm not entirely sure how XP Mode is with using a Lexia, as I generally opt to use VirtualBox, which I have no issues with Lexia on. You can quite easily test if it's XP Home that is the cause, as you can get a legit (VM) copy of XP pro from https://modern.ie/en-gb/virtualization-tools#downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I would recommend using VirtualBox for it. You will need to run through the install for Lexia though obviously.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Back again

Right been playing, got an old desktop pc out that had WinXP on it, installed Lexia and took the lot out to the car, plugged it in and with baited breath did global test, exactly the same, only sees the injection, additional heating and headlamp Ecu's, tried a few times no luck, exited Lexia and went back in but for some reason decided to select C5 instead of C8, it picked up the chassis number, entered the RPO number and did a global test, this time is did see most of the Ecu's so managed to find the nearside rear parking sensor is duff and tell it there is a CD changer installed (going to put a connects2 in)

Guess that means its the interface that is at fault and not the car.

Will have a look on ebay and fine a newer one I think, I will also have to look for a Renault Clip as the OH now has a MkII Megane CC
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Wierd Lexia Problem

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Wait for Mandrake or Northern_Mike to catch up, as they will be able to give more meaningful advise than I can.
I just use Simon's files from Mega, and follow the instructions in the youtube video mentioned in the install document. Works every time as long as you've removed every trace of it.

Just for the hell of it, I'm currently installing it on a 64-bit Windows 8.1 Toshiba laptop with Diagbox running in a 32 bit Windows XP VM on Diagbox.

I got bored of waiting and left it to whirr away. I'll see if it works in the morning and if so, write up some instructions on how to make it work. I think old XP laptops are getting tricky to find and it's added expense to buy one if you already have a good modern one around. There seems to be enough people posting about problems with 64-bit machines that instructions for the whole Diagbox install would be useful.
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Wierd Lexia Problem

Post by Northern_Mike »

Ben82 wrote:I know that there are some issues with XP Home with Lexia, but I wouldn't have thought you'd get as far as you do if that was the case.

I'm not entirely sure how XP Mode is with using a Lexia, as I generally opt to use VirtualBox, which I have no issues with Lexia on. You can quite easily test if it's XP Home that is the cause, as you can get a legit (VM) copy of XP pro from https://modern.ie/en-gb/virtualization-tools#downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I would recommend using VirtualBox for it. You will need to run through the install for Lexia though obviously.
Doing exactly this at the moment Ben...