Program Xantia mk2 Radio key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skog77
My Cars:

Program Xantia mk2 Radio key

Post by skog77 »

Hello!

I have just aquired my second Xantia after the ECU on my first one died. This one is a mk2 1999 with beautiful leather interior, PMB and fun gadgets like a rain sensor.

However, the plip key does not work. The previous owner put in the wrong battery, then decided he'd rather use the spare key as it took up less space in his pocket..

I've now changed to the correct battery, but it still does not work. Unlike my old Xantia with an IR key, this is a two-button radio key. There is no radio key card in the car.

1. Is the key supposed to have a LED light up when i press the button? I can't find any LED light anywhere.

2. My friend has a Lexia. Can we do anything with that?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Program Xantia mk2 Radio key

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

1, There is no LED for an S2 Xantia keyfob control.
2, You don't need the Lexia. According to my Xantia handbook all you need to do is to switch on the ignition, and then operate the remote control.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Hm, i tried doing that right now.

Switch on the ignition and press the opener. Also held it down for a while, but no reaction.

Perhaps the key is dead :?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I would check the soldering of the buttons inside the fob - the joints are notorious for cracking - one of the buttons on my previous S2 fob had completely fallen off and was rattling around inside! :lol:

If you have access to a Lexia and have the 4 character confidential code for the car, I would attempt a key/fob programming session to see if it can be correctly programmed.

The re-syncing procedure mentioned above only cures problems where the rolling code has got out of sync (usually caused by a battery left flat for a long time, or pressing the buttons more than 25 times while out of range of the car) but won't help if the fob and ECU aren't paired.

It could be that someone swapped the circuit board inside the fob or the fob itself to replace a faulty one, or the CPH ECU/Engine ECU were swapped in the past and they didn't know how to reprogram the fob.

At least a Lexia session will tell you if the fob is transmitting any signal at all - as it will accept and respond to ANY S2 Xantia fob during the programming process.

If it doesn't detect anything during the programming process its a fair bet that the fob is faulty. You can program any second hand Xantia S2 fob to the car using a Lexia, so you could get hold of one from a scrappy, swap the boards between fobs then program it with the Lexia.

The most likely scenario is the fob circuit board is faulty or is not the original one from the car.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

I hooked up my mates Lexia, and it gave a fault code about a faulty key. However i do not have the four digit code, so i couldnt do anything more.

I'll try and get a hold of that code.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

skog77 wrote: I'll try and get a hold of that code.
Two ways, either go to your local Citroen dealer with your VIN and proof of ownership or else see if the bloke on here from Ireland (his name escapes me) can still supply the codes..

He'll do the CPH code, radio code and all key codes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Birdman I believe is your man
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

I called up a dealer and explained the situation, expecting to be asked to show up with ID and everything.

He just jotted down my phone number and emailed France, he'll call back with the code when he gets it :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:Birdman I believe is your man
That's the man! Thanks Chris :-D
skog77 wrote:I called up a dealer and explained the situation, expecting to be asked to show up with ID and everything.

He just jotted down my phone number and emailed France, he'll call back with the code when he gets it :-D
Excellent :-D

Others have suffered the Spanish Inquisition before the dealer has done the necessary!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

CitroJim wrote: Others have suffered the Spanish Inquisition before the dealer has done the necessary!
Yes but you know what people say about the Spanish Inquisition.
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Got the code, used the Lexia, and they key now works again!

It was good to get this done, as i have some bad experiences with the norwegian winter and frozen Xantia door locks. Not quality items :)

Next mission: Re-align the exhaust system, because the previous owner had it fitted so that the muffler touches the rear bumper when going up hill. #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

skog77 wrote:Got the code, used the Lexia, and they key now works again!
Excellent :-D
Jim