1999 Citroen Xsara Turbo Diesel Overheating At Speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b1981ci
New User

1999 Citroen Xsara Turbo Diesel Overheating At Speed

Post by b1981ci »

The car overheats rather quickly bit only at high speed on the highway (160-180+ kmh). This is the only time it does it though. Drive below 160 and it's fine. I thought maybe it could be the thermostat but if that were the case I would expect problems at any speed.

Car otherwise runs smooth, no noises, no lack of power, fuel mileage is great, etc.

What could be the cause of this and how do I if it.

It is an "xsara break (n2)" by the way. I guess this car must have 1.9 or 2.0 if this data is accurate http://www.auto-data.net/en/?f=showSubM ... li_id=1693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: 1999 Citroen Xsara Turbo Diesel Overheating At Speed

Post by Xantidote »

Does it overheat on a hot summer's day when stuck in traffic? Do you then see the needle keep climbing on the temperature gauge? And in those conditions, do you hear the cooling fan(s) cut in?

The radiator's not blocked with leaves is it?

PS. Welcome to the Forum :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
b1981ci
New User

Post by b1981ci »

Thanks. No it doesn't overheat at slower speeds or stuck in traffic. I don't see anything blocking the radiator. I did not realize now close this is to the engines absolutely top speed because the tach reads low. It is probably not a great idea if for fuel mileage alone to be driving that fast all day every day but it seems to me like a car should not overheat (and rather quickly at that) just because you are approaching the vehicles top speed for 15-20 minutes
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Diesels will run hot when driven hard especially at high revs as they rapidly loose efficiency once past the max torque speed and consume a lot of fuel, little of which gets converted into power. If it overheats driven gently at high speed most likely the radiator is clogged.

Peter
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

If the radiator air path is clear, then I'd suspect a partial blockage in the water flow; silted up cooling system or a tired thermostat. I've recently changed The Green Lady's thermostat for the second time (after 7 years) because she started to get a bit hot and bothered when driven hard. Old thermostat was opening almost fully but only close to 100C. New thermostat has fixed the problem - temperature still rises to 85-90C on the gauge when driven hard on a hot day but no further and the slight loss of coolant has stopped too.

Incidentally, Gates thermostats come with a sealing ring, most others don't and you then need to get one from a Citroen dealer!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Also check for bubbles in header tank as might be pressurizing(daft spell checker)if there is a slight blow on head gasket which i had on mine but only had any effect at high speed