C5 X7 2-in-1 navigation tutorial

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5 X7 2-in-1 navigation tutorial

Post by vborovic »

I've updated the emyway post with the "Zone not mapped" issue ... Just to add to that, since there are two possibilities with the same message ... like in the myway post, when you get the message, BUT have the altitude & compass working/displaying something on the instrument panel (the altitude has to be the same as the one on the main screen), then it means the current location is out of the map zone (road) ... the other case is when you don't get the altitude (--- m or something similar) and no compass on the instrument panel screen, then that means somehow the communication is broken between the nav unit and the instrument panel ... BSI update didn't help with that in my case, the only other option is if it is possible to update the instrument panel itself (which should be possible, since almost every module that responds in the DIagBox has it's own ID and possibility to remotely get the new versions) ... I can't say 100% that it applies to the instrument panel (blurry memory about it), but I'd guess that's the only other solution ...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'll be attempting to add the microphone for the RNEG vehicle, parts ordered (microphone and spare quadlock cables & connectors), so look forward to the addendum sometime next week at latest (unless I blow the car up due to wrong wiring) ... :D ...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The microphone is still not up in the other car (but I have gathered all the required parts for it) ... as for the emyway (RT6), I can say that I'm fairly satisfied with it so far, and in the near future hopefully, the navigation maps are far more detailed than on the myway, the speed limits are displayed (where they're applied on the map of course), the BT streaming and USB music is great, but I've managed to identify some drawbacks (potential fixes in the newer firmware) ... by the way, just a few days ago, it is available to the general public, the latest FW 2.80, that covers the CAN2004 & CAN2010 RT6 units ... as for the drawbacks:

- slow update of maps (each country or set of countries takes up to 30 minutes each to update from the USB stick) ... compared to the myway where it took 10 minutes to copy new data from the PC to the SD card
- USB stick music folder limit - 100 folders can get displayed, anything else gets ignored, I've managed to run a 64 GB stick with music, it works as expected ... 2.5" HDD enclosure however doesn't get recognized, power is received, but no interaction ... properly formatted in FAT32 ...
- still not displaying the BT music streaming info, just the name of the device
- some options are hidden (deliberately I guess), and you have to know and use advanced techniques and tools to enable them (for the tech-savvy people a cinch)
- big differences in implementation (I've compared the C5 and Pug 508, they both have RT6, and it seems like a totally different unit on the Pug, normally it has up to 75% of the available options in setup that the C5 has)
- slightly poorer radio reception compared to the myway (don't know how and why, only the units have changed, the other car infrastructure remained the same, but the stations I normally listen to are of slightly lower quality than before) ... there appears nothing wrong with the unit itself ...
- not all of the menu interaction is accessible with the wheel controls, when you get 2 parallel lists of options, you have to use the left-right buttons on the radio directly

However, there are some nice potential add-on features (standard & non-standard) which can be added to the emyway, of which currently I'm mostly interested in the genuine reversing camera ... it get's mounted above the license plate, next to the right license plate light ... drilling required (to achieve the genuine setup) ... and the cable goes to the BSI ... the entire endeavor shouldn't cost more than 200 GBP ... but, I'm currently taking a break from such electrical customizations ... a few months hiatus if you will ... :D ... which doesn't mean I'm not working on the exterior ... :D ...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

What software is your head unit working from? The reason I ask is that I have a few sat nav units, the original RT4 plus a couple of myway RNEG ones similar to the one you are using, the RT4 (much nicer unit - sat nav display far better) plus the RNEG running on software version R59b_R50.03 both display directions on the speedo whereas the RNEG running on software R29a_R29.01 like yours doesn't, so maybe try updating the software and that will sort it out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I have the latest one available on my RT6, RNEG2.80.E.2 ... as for the one I don't have anymore (sold to another car), RNEG, it too had the latest available at that (and current time per my knowledge), rneg_D_R50b_R50.03 ... and with different map sets, speed cam files and what not, I couldn't get the RNEG to show the speed limits for the life of me ... and I've never heard of it to have that capability, and I've talked with a fair few RNEG owners about it ...
Lasse

Post by Lasse »

Currently in the process of replacing the RD4 by a RT6. Correct VIN is already in the RT6. When you did the RT4/RD4 conversion, did you delete the RD4 from the BSI before taking it out?
'73 DS 23 pallas, '87 CX25TRD2 long, '11 C5 HDi 165 Tourer exclusive
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I had RNEG, not RD4 ... no, I've just made a direct replacement, and then afterwards removed/updated information that was wrong in the BSI ... can't remember which exactly, maybe 1-2 items at most ...
Lasse

Post by Lasse »

I was thinking of the car which received your RNEG with a prior RD4. Anyway thanks for your reply - I suppose when you were able to delete the RNEG from the BSI after it was taken out already same should work for the RD4.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Sorry, I thought you meant the other procedure ... it was the same, RD4 out, RNEG in, and change anything that is not in order ... I can't remember which settings were changed, apart from the VIN coding the radio to the target car, and removing the parking sensors option (the other car doesn't have them like mine), as for the BSI/instrument panel, I enabled the central navigation screen and I think that was it more or less ...
Lasse

Post by Lasse »

Thanks. Will do it in the same sequence then and see what detail issues will arise. One more thing: How is the GPS reception with the antenna stuffed under the dash? I like the idea to leave it there, but was considering to put it somewhere in the corner of a rear side window.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The reception in the other car is the same as in my car (same number of satellites in the same location, maybe 1 off every now and then) ... I too was surprised about that at first, but it seems the dash, top cover, etc. doesn't add much interference to the GPS receiver as opposed to its intended (manufacturer) location
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Just want to add, I've managed to grab hold of one used C5 X7 hifi amplifier (new ones are around 300-350 GBP, if not more), which should arrive next week. My car didn't have an amplifier (wasn't a hifi package), so I'll have some wiring fun ... the main target is to add the genuine subwoofer in the boot, which will be the second phase, so there will be some more additions to this installation tutorial soon ... :) ...
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Went to the Service to attempt updating the instrument panel, no such option ... so, the small screen still won't display the navigation directions, it's stuck in "Zone not mapped" without the compass (meaning: no data from the nav unit at all) ... the only two solutions are replacement of the instrument panel with the newer version (won't go into such extremes) or flashing the current instrument panel with the newer ones software (in case the hardware is the same, 50% chance they haven't changed anything in the manufacturing process) ... as for the Hi-Fi, it will be do-or-die this week, the installation is prepared, it's just that the nav unit won't co-operate with DiagBox during changing the amplifier type,so I'll have to use MiraScripts (nifty little thing for the RT4-5-6 navigation units) ... the sub-woofer was delivered, I must say it does look larger than expected, and you wonder how it fits in the boot ... weighs around 5-6 kgs, made by Philips ... I'll take some photos of it, the connector, and measurements before it goes in the car for reference ... this entire adventure is a "don't try this at home" procedure ... I just hope it will work as expected in the end ... if not, I'll just have to drive an extra 10 kgs in my car from now on ... :D ...
Lasse

Post by Lasse »

Thanks for your hints so far, my RD4 to RT6 conversion went well so far. The car came with etouch/connection box (one unit?) and the USB port in the arm rest. So far I was unable to locate the connection box to get the USB port connected to the RT6.
Anyone here with an idea where the box might be? Or a clue which of the wires to the RD4 carried the USB signals?
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm not sure what you mean by this "connection box"? As for the USB signals, you're asking for RD4 or RT6?