A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The "iWanThat"!

According to Google that may be the 'osee' 2001
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Spot on James the points go to you. Best in Show apparently at the Geneva Motor Show in 2001-not surprising really it looks fantastic. I guess the company have to get as much business as they can... but the Hyundai Matrix? doesn't compare at all.

How about a bit of my original artwork for your prize

I still can't work out the punchline to your joke :) Give us a clue.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:That's the one except dad's was Island Blue and wore the plate JOM 414E. A lovely colour. I still wonder what became of it because when Dad traded it in for the Marina in 1972 it was immaculate.
Stick it into vehiclecheck.co.uk its on the current database at least so it may well be still going strong.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Hillman Hunter got a bit of an airing on the previous page. My memories of it were commuting into town on a daily basis in a Hillman Hunter Topaz like this (lets hear it for the vinyl roof again :) )

There was always the overdrive moment when the lever was flicked-not as good an overdrive flicking moment as I subsequently enjoyed in my GT6. Much slicker... a literal barely detectable thumb only flick of the switch on the top of the gear knob :!:

The Hunter also turned out to be one of my friends first cars, (not the topaz..just a bog standard white one) Mooching around town blaring out the Crusaders Street-life Album, and feeling more than a touch cool.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

One of my friends had a Hunter when we were teenagers Neil. In fact it was the replacement for the Avenger he wrote off and nearly killed me. His previous car was a Reliant Regal van in which he used to practice cornering on two wheels :twisted: :roll: :lol:

I was not wearing a seatbelt in the Avenger and was sat in the front passenger seat. I was sent flying through the windscreen when the car hit a telegraph pole, flipped upside down and ended up facing the wrong way in a ditch. The roof above where I'd been was crushed to about a foot high. Had I been wearing a belt the outcome may have been a little different. As it was I escaped with minor injuries. In fact the worst injury was suffered by the driver who suffered a broken collar bone. Another still has neck problems to this day though...

For many years afterwards the telegraph pole had a pronounced lean :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

When you mentioned a Reliant Regal I imagined that must have been the 4 wheel Reliant, and the Robin was the three wheel one. Its the "Kitten" thats the 4-wheeler, and if this evidence is to be believed Trotters Independant Trading may well have used a Reliant Regal Van, after years of me thinking it was a Reliant Robin van. Looks like there was a Reliant Fox as well- maybe that had 5-wheels!

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the Robin had slightly more rounded corners to the Rega, spoz you could say it was the MK2

http://www.3wheelers.com/robin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there's a yellow regal in Hastings with Trotters independent trading on the sides
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

My other granddad never passed his car test, so always had 3-wheelers as long as I can remember. When I was born he had a blue Regal, then he moved onto Robins. A green R-plate one, which he had from a year old until 1980 when he bought a brand new bright yellow "Super" Robin - I believe the Super had a higher compression motor in it - the famous "yellow top" engine (famous in Reliant circles anyway). He had that for 14 years and did over 180k miles in it. He was a keen time-trialler and it used to take him, his bike and my gran all over the country to events he was competing in, and they also used to go touring Scotland and Ireland once a year it in. He claimed to have seen over 100mph in it more than once, especially coming down Shap on the M6 - a claim my gran verifies. Having had one up to an indicated 90 in a *very* inappropriate place myself, I believe him. He moved onto a brand new 1998 Robin after that, which he had for 3 years and 37k miles until he passed away in 2001. It was that car I had to take back to a dealer, and saw the inappropriate speed..

Hateful handling cars, lovely gearbox, but actually, hilarious fun I spent many happy hours as a passenger when I was a kid in it. That yellow one that did 180k... it never, ever broke down. We changed a rear leaf spring on it once, and it needed a new kingpin every 20k or so, but that was all.
NewcastleFalcon

I love a random link, and the great stories that come out of them. Lovely story Mike.

I still havent come up with a punchline to James- Hell Razors' joke, but he does claim that yourself or Addo may be able to figure it out!

Any ideas?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i used to work for Hector Havaux of H G Havaux's at Whatlington just up the ( exsqueeez me Jim for mentioning the dreaded ) A21 from Hastings,

there is a right angled right hander just before the garage when heading towards London,
on a regular bases there were prangs both sides of the bend, which quite often spread all the way across the forecourt, most of the fopares happened around 1am sunday mornings, as revelers headed back towards the smoke after coming down to parties,

one day whilst the garage was open Hector was standing at the Hastings end/entrance of the forecourt talking to a customer, when a complete front wing with head lamp still attached of a Reliant Regal, came over the fence and landed by Hectors feet,

the T*W*A*T = driver was on his way home from the maternity hospital with wife and new born on board, he came round the bend slightly/way to fast, hit the telegraph pole in the garden next to the garage,

luckily everyone escaped uninjured
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Malcolm. you're forgiven for mentiong the A21. The scars are healing nicely now :twisted:
citronut wrote:one day whilst the garage was open Hector was standing at the Hastings end/entrance of the forecourt talking to a customer, when a complete front wing with head lamp still attached of a Reliant Regal, came over the fence and landed by Hectors feet,
Ohh lovely! I can just picture the the scene and the comedy of it :lol:

Thank goodness everyone was OK...

How times have changed though. In Australia rthey wouldn't let us take Robyn home from the maternity hospital until we proved we had a properly approved and installed baby capsule in the car...

I can't recall themn doing the same with Sian when she was born in Milton keynes but I know I drove very carefully when we took her home for the first time. We had a Fraud Sierra then which soon got changed to a Nissan Serena due to expaning family numbers...

All this talk of Reliants reminds me it's one type of verhicle I've never driven...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

They checked we had a car seat at the Royal Berks when we took Sam home for the first time.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

One of lasting memories of Reliants finest was being called to a PI accident involving a Robin which had rolled, nothing was left of the body as it had disintegrated into a thousand pieces leaving the upturned chassis as the only thing left to give the impression that the pile of rubbish had once been a car. Somehow the elderly driver was walking around with just a few cuts to his head and hands, quite how he survived this crash still escapes me, one very lucky man indeed.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Yes. My granddad crashed his into someone who pulled out in front of him, wiped the left front off and most of the passenger side. He walked away from that even though it crumbled as though it was made of wet weetabix.
It was reshelled by the insurance company.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.