A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Two interesting spots today

The Morris Traveller looked like a brand new car! Very nice. The Renault Megane Coupe Cabriolet performed its roof closing trick very neat......but I wonder how waterproof it is. It was a grey colour, I reckon with a bit more adventurous set of colours, maybe a bit of two-tone it would look so much better.

On the whole though the Morris Traveller would win for me-much more practical for the hound.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Re: A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by citronut »

i went to collect a pile of polystyrene packing yesterday i won on Hastings Freegle ( was Freecycle ), and the guy had the exact copy of that traveler in his car post,

trouble with those they not only suffer with tin worm but also wood worm :yikes: :shock: :roll: :wink: , oh plus they have that orible torsion bar suspension,

i prefer the A30/35's as they have spring and shockers all round
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: i prefer the A30/35's as they have spring and shockers all round
I do too. I've never been much of a fan of the Minor to be honest. Dad had one when I was around 8. Neither of us were impressed.

The wood is nice on the traveller and liking it dad then bought a wooden Mini Traveller. We all loved that car until dad replaced it after a good few years with BL's biggest horror ever. A dreadful Marina 1.3 Coupé. It looked lovely and was a lovely colour (Black Tulip) but the full horror of it would not be revealed to me until I learned to drive in the hateful thing.

How could BL have got it so wrong?

I consider the Allaggro was the better car but still horrific.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Yes Jim, totaly agree about the marina but in its defence, but wasn't the Marina 1.8TC not the "oringinal wolf in sheeps clothing" :-D Its 0-60 times were legendary and saw off many a "sports car" in its day.

I am sure I actually took a picture of one as they are now turning up at classic car displays, and I have to be honest it brings a smile to my face. How funny-especially if its parked next to a Hillman Avenger! If I find it I'll post it up..see if I can get it past admin!.

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 01 Aug 2014, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the Marina and Ital used all the old left over bits of moggy suspension though, again orible torsion bar on the front,

then the all agro had the square steering wheel and hydra--elastic suspenders
Regards, malcolm.

NewcastleFalcon

Heres a picture of a nice Ice cream trailer taken at Belsay Hall,

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I had a recollection that the 1.8TC Marina was a bit of a Q-car, but I have just looked up its acceleration stats and it was 9.8secs for 0-60mph.
Pretty impressive for the era.

Malcolm's analysis of its suspension deficiencies are echoed in this article I found:
first the good news

"For the more sporting drive a 1.8 Twin Carb was offered developing a more potent 95 bhp @ 5,000 rpm and 105 lb/ft @ 2,500 rpm – this gave the car a drastically improved 0-60 mph time of 9.8 seconds and a top speed of 100 Mph, fuel consumption was increased slightly to 25 mpg."

then the not so good news

"All was not well however, Autocar and Motor magazine uncovered a design flaw in the vehicle that gave the Marina a tendency to severely under steer when corners were taken at higher speeds, the larger 1800cc vehicles suffering more than the 1300cc units. The respective road testers visited Harry Webster to table their claims and noted that they would publish unfavourable road tests should the car not be modified – a negative press could have major implications on the sales success of the new model.
The root of the problem was the antiquated suspension system that was derived from the Morris Minor the front suspension was independent and used torsion bars whilst at the rear a live rear axle was used supported by semi elliptic leaf springs. Webster appeased both writers by assuring them that no 1800cc car would be sold without modification and that a front anti roll bar had already been developed to alleviate the problem and would have been present on the press vehicles but for time constraints.
This was not strictly true as the addition of a front anti roll bar would not have resolved the issue rather the engineering team modified the front suspension through the addition of a different lower link arm, furthermore approximately 5,000 vehicles would leave the factory before the modification was integrated into the production line. Even so, Webster had convinced the journalists and the published test reviews were fairly positive and only noted normal levels of under steer."

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Here's a "black tulip" coupe to jog some memories for Jim :)

given better lighting the colour looks more purple

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: given better lighting the colour looks more purple
It does indeed Neil. Dad's was an L plate. PYA372L... That one a 1.8 though - you can tell by the grille.

As a kid (teenager) I was really annoyed Dad bought the lowly 1.3. I really wanted him to have the 1.8 as it had more toys and a rev counter.

The 1.8 might have gone well but with poorer suspension than a wheel barrow what was the point.

I still say the Coupé styling was bang-on and they still look good today - especially the 1.8.

The 1.8 used the B series engine and was lifted straight from the MGB of the time. The large engined Ital used the O series - a new OHC engine of some repute that lasted many years and I think powered things like Montegos and Maestros - including the lairy MG models which again flew like bats out of hell. Might be wrong on that though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

You were probably lucky that you didnt get lumbered with the quite rare 1.5 Diesel Marina.

0-60 in 30 seconds! ( literally not joking)

I think only 3000 ish made it out of the factory, so probably quite a collectors piece now :)

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :shock: I never knew there was a Marina Diesel Neil... Again I guess the diesel version of the B series often found in canal boats...

Appropriate really and it all fits, Maria, boat...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:and a top speed of 100 Mph

regards Neil
i'd defiantly prefer to do 85 mph in a dershy ( 2CV ) or 110 in a 5 speed gear box 1.3 GSA than in one of those wheel barrows :yikes: :roll: :shock: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:Gosh :shock: I never knew there was a Marina Diesel Neil... Again I guess the diesel version of the B series often found in canal boats...

Appropriate really and it all fits, Marina, boat...
I wouldn't know about that, but my Mums' boat uses a 1.8L BMC narrow head diesel engine.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I want to complain on behalf of myself, Northern Mike and anyone else who had greatly differing expectations to the actual content, when clicking on the topic titled "Another nice pair".
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Consolation price Adam.