XUD Engine Build Problems

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

XUD Engine Build Problems

Post by evilally »

I've just finished building up an XUD. I started with a block with a crank already installed (didn't disturb this as it was low mileage). Pistons and rings all went back into the same cylinders they came out of (everything was cleaned ultra sonically). New OE con rod shells were fitted. Everything lubed up with new engine oil when assembled and torqued correctly. It all seems to turn over ok by hand using a wrench on the crank pulley, a bit tight when there's compression but otherwise seems fine. I've hooked up the starter with jump leads to a known good battery. When I fire the starter, it turns slowly 2 or 3 times then stops. The jump leads get very hot. I thought it might be a duff starter, so swapped it out with one off my 406 but with the same result. I've cleaned up the areas where the jump leads are connecting to.

Any ideas? If someone else told me this I'd say bad starter or bad contact somewhere. I'm going to borrow another set of leads to try in the hope I don't have to pull it all to bits again :evil:
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: XUD Engine Build Problems

Post by citronut »

when it comes to a stop have you then tried turning it further with a wrench on the crank pulley,
as this could rule out starter/leads or battery
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: XUD Engine Build Problems

Post by evilally »

Thanks for the suggestion Malcolm, today I swapped out the jump lead on the negative terminal for the original earth strap from the car body, started nice and easy, video to follow :-D
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.