Renault megane 1.5dci smoking exhaust issue

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pah_82
New User

Renault megane 1.5dci smoking exhaust issue

Post by Pah_82 »

Guys-I have a 2003 megane diesel with pretty low mileage. Issue started not long after I bought the car second hand, no problems with performance but blowing out white smoke from the exhaust over 2000rpm. Took it to a local garage who told me the turbo had gone. New turbo (correct unit) has been fitted but now there is a lack of power in the acceleration and it's blowing out black smoke??? I am lost now as to what it could be and broke after buying two bloody turbos! As we thought first was faulty. Any help greatly received!! Need it back on the road ASAP. I've had it plugged in and not showing any fault codes?? Could it be the EGR??
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Re: Renault megane 1.5dci smoking exhaust issue

Post by steelcityuk »

A stuck egr could well cause the smoke issue - that would account for the smoke and lack of power. Another possibility is that there's a leak in the induction system or faulty/unconnected sensor. Do you know if the whole of the induction system was removed and thoroughly flushed? Same thing for the exhaust? Also that the turbo oil pipes were swapped too? All too often cars 'blow' multiple turbo because the original fault hasn't been dealt with. Has the car had it's fault codes and parameters read?

Steve.
not applicable
Pah_82
New User

Post by Pah_82 »

Just removed and cleaned a thoroughly coaked up EGR-ordered a blanking plate of eBay to blank it off. Not actually sure what was taken off when the turbo was fitted? The system probably needs a good flush! I'm losing patience with this bloody car. Might just sell it for repair and buy something more reliable.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I'm on my third Scenic, all have been bought with existing issues but they aren't the easiest cars to deal with, which is saying something when I'm used to hydraulic Citroens. However I do like the practicality of the Scenics and they are nice to drive.

Steve.
not applicable
MarinKusek4719
New User
My Cars: Megane 2 1.5 80hp

Post by MarinKusek4719 »

Megane 2 2004. 1.5 80hp
New turbo, oil + filters and after 5 days smoking black and loosing power.
Egr cleaned
Catalytic converter from small truck so it cant be clogged.