CV boot fitting

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

CV boot fitting

Post by jgra1 »

chaps, I need to do a CV boot on a 306 tomorrow.. TD..

I am faced with three choices..
a glue together
a pullover
or an OE ish item..

the latter requires taking the cv joint apart, and I can say that is a job I have never tried.. is it fairly straightforward? some circlip pliers, a drift and a few rollers falling out?
what would you go for?.. car wont last that much longer, and time is against me a bit..

thanks
john
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: CV boot fitting

Post by CitroJim »

Hi John,

Last time I did a boot used an OEM'ish one and a cone applicator. No need to dismantle but you need to turn the new boot inside-out and grease it really well. It may take two pairs of nads to stretch it all the way up the cone...

I've tried those glue-together ones and never got on with them.

A super-stretchy and a cone will be a breeze but I do believe they don't last as well as a proper one.

Bit warm for a pullover isn't it? You'll sweat doing the job!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always use tailored CV boots OE type,

i prefer to remove the CV joint to strip and clean it out, this is even more important if the old boot is split wide open, as the joint will be full of grit and dirt,

you dont need circlip pliers on PSA joints as they are held on with a snap ring,

you just use a hefty copper knock omiter or a hammer with a heavy copper drift to know the joint off the end of the shaft,

you must only strike the joint on its castellations right up tight against the shaft,

you must not hit the cage that retains the ball bearings
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good point on the dirt Malcolm. I've got too used to catching them as soon as they show signs so dirt never has a chance to get in...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Jim and Malc :)

took driveshaft off and there was much play.. returned the boots and cone and got an exchange shaft yesterday.. one annoying mot done.. back to boat building ;)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have the passenger side one on the activa to do as well so getting a genuine one is likely as in sure some dealer will have one in stock and want rid cheap if they haven't already discounted them.

This knocking it out without a circlio stuff, is there a video to see how this goes as I can't seem to get my head round the description above (sorry!) it could just be the sun and drink though :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try this KP

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i dont think its in English

although i did hear him say WD40 :yikes: :yikes: :missile: :missile:

the vid above is how not to remove a CV joint if you plane on reusing it
Regards, malcolm.

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That video seems to be;

Whack it a few times,
Rotate it a few times,
What it some more.

Pause video and skip but where I get it out :(

Mines the gearbox end as well, but should be same for both I think.

I may take it off and get local garage or Paris to do it if I bob by on Saturday morning with it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: Mines the gearbox end as well, but should be same for both I think.
Not quite Will as the inner is a triax joint and the spider will not come off the shaft. As far as I can tell it is staked on. You also have to be careful of all the needle rollers too...

Again, a cone works a treat for these joints...

Else that or you have to knock off the outer CV joint and slider the new boot all the way up to the inner - that means two boots rather than one as it would be a bit muppety to try re-using a boot...
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

So the outter one comes off easily enough?

It may be worth while doing both then and at least I can then take a wire drill attachment to the shaft and clean it up if it needs it then paint it up as well, help the engine bay look nice :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:So the outter one comes off easily enough?
Yes, as Malcolm says :)

It's not a bad idea to renew the C clip on reassembly...
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Are they a citroen only clip?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Are they a citroen only clip?
I'd think they're pretty much generic. Take the old one to a decent factor and they should be able to match it.. . Alternatively, any good indy garage should hold stocks.

With care the old one can often be re-used...

I once had a CV boot on a Xantia done by a garage and the clip fell off after a few hundred miles.. Makes ever such a funny grinding noise going round corners!
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

To be honest Jim if it's available from cit it should only be a few quid and I get a pretty good discount at the local parts desk these days to make it worthwhile buying genuine and using up old stock :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

actually the inner triax comes apart far easier than the outer as the trax is held on to the shaft with a normal circlip,
remove this then just tap the splined shaft end through and out of the spider,

if the outer is not split wide open you can now clean all the crap of the full length of the shaft, and slide the new outer on from the inner end,
( mind you slide it on large end first :roll: #-o :wink: )

also as Jim says mind the triax bearing do not come off the spider, i usually wrap wide masking tape or the likes around these,

although i think the needle rolls all over the floor were a thing of earlier Cits/Pugs as the later type the bearing usually have a tin retainer to stop the bearing falling off
Regards, malcolm.