405 power steering gaiter

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

duggie

405 power steering gaiter

Post by duggie »

my old 405 has just failed the mot on a torn nearsde power steering gaiter, has anyone changed one? if so how easy/hard are they to change, haynes manual suggests leaving the nearside gaiter to a peugeot garage.
Cheers. Duggie
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

The newer Haynes manuals are full of gems like that.
Yes, I changed one recently, but it is a bit of a job. You have to remove the steering rack first. The Haynes manual does cope with this.
Then you have to remove the RH track rod, which can be done complete if you peel back the plastic gaiter and unscrew the inner ball joint from the rack.
Then remove the steering column bit, it just unbolts. You will have had to remove the hydraulic pipes first.
Then withdraw the rack from the LH end of the casing. Replace the gaitor and as the Haynes manual reassuringly says, re-assembly is a reverse proceedure. Just clean and grease the rack first.
It is a right b****r getting the assembly out and back in again though.
Good luck.
duggie

Post by duggie »

Thanks for the reply, l went to my local pug dealer for their advice, they say it is possible to stretch the new gaiter over the ram stud, either way l know its going to be a real bugger, just waiting for the rain to stop so l can start. Thanks again.
Duggie
duggie

Post by duggie »

Carried out the changing of the nearside power steering gaiter today, the nearside is a real pain to do because of a 2" stud bolt that holds the power steering ram to the steering rack. The normal method to do this job is to remove and dismantle the rack fit the gaiter and reassemble, l managed to avoid this, so if anyone is interested this is how the job went.
Firstly remove the trackrod, then undo the ram nut and remove the ram, once these are out of the way remove the old gaiter, the new gaiter was bought from local partco store, a universal gaiter which is more stretchy than the genuine part. The new gaiter was left in boiled water for a few minutes just to make it even more flexible, slide the gaiter onto the rack upto the stud bolt, now this is where patience is needed, stretch the first part of the gaiter over the stud l found putting a spoon inside the gaiter and onto the stud head stopped the stud piercing through, once the gaiter has pasted the stud it was just a case of securing the ends with cable ties (supplied in the kit) and reassembling ram and trackrod. The whole job took me 2 hours, alot quicker than taking out the power steering rack.
Hope this helps someone doing a similar job.
Duggie
topper

Post by topper »

Thanks, Duggie.
It's a job I've got to do before my next MOT.I was dreading it but now reading your posting you've certainly put my mind at rest.I'll follow your sound advice to the letter.
Thanks again.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I had an old Skoda Favorit a few years back. What a car! Apart from self destruct plastic door cappings it was brilliant.
I had to change a gaiter for an mot and bought a pair of universal gaiters that were split from one end to the other (designed like that!). They came with a tube of superglue and all I had to do was cut the old one off, wrap the new one in place, glue it up and tie wrap it on. Very quick and easy just keep the grease off while gluing.
I think they were Partco, I've still got one in the box somewhere.[8D]
Dave.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I was looking in case the rear drive shaft gaiter on the 504 needed doing, thankfully they are sound, but came across the "sticky" boot here at : http://www.bailcast.com/bailframe.htm
duggie

Post by duggie »

That sticky boot is fine as long as you have the access to apply the glue, unfortunatetly on the 405 you dont, its hard enough just to touch the gaiter let alone apply glue.
Duggie
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

I used your method of fitting a rubber universal gaitor twice, they last about a year at the most. Basically the material is thicker, and does not compress enough when on full left lock, and it gets pinched. The correct Peugeot gaitor is much thinner plastic to allow for this. This is why I did it the hard way.
If you intend to keep the car more than a year, use the correct part.