Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

There is a lot of interesting information in the blog which I got the pic of the A40 Countryman from. Its in French but the pictures/old advertising material etc are quite extensive, and google translate does its best to give the gist. the main index is here

The link to Heuliez gives plenty of pics, information and history on "special edition" vehicles by the Heuliez Company for many French vehicles
eg

BX
CX
XM

and how about the M35

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Unbelievable-Guess what I saw in Keswick today...

...and did a 360 round the next roundabout to come back and take a photo of...and had a great chat with the owners-a little bit of knowledge courtesy of Malcolm and Jim goes a long way :)

They even flicked up the semaphore for a picture!

I'm not even going to offer it up as a what is it quiz. But lets look at the evidence as LLoyd Grosman might have said

The semaphore indicators
The small rear window
The all metal grill
Apparently the rain channeling down the side of the windscreen would also normally give it away but not in this case.

It has to be one of these
the side view
the front view
the rear view

It has been fitted with rear indictor lights, but the semaphores were still in place!

What were the chances of that happening?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Jul 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely A30 Neil :-D A great spot.

Good to see the trafficators retained. So often they got damaged as it was so easy to leave them up and then either walk into them or catch them on something..

Back in the day there was a roaring trade in new ones 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so if that A30 puts his hazards on it could fly :twisted: :roll: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:

i seem to remember something regarding the flat grill signifying/being a particular model/flavor of A30, but i cant so i'll ask a friend, then if that fails i will ask the audience :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

LOL Malcolm but its wings are a bit short..

Only the saloons had the posh profiled chrome grill as I remember although genuine Countrymans may have too..

Vans and pickups had a plain metal body-colour grill as part of the body pressing just as early mini vans did. They were certainly flat!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:
Only the saloons had the posh profiled chrome grill as I remember although genuine Countrymans may have too..

Vans and pickups had a plain metal body-colour grill as part of the body pressing just as early mini vans did. They were certainly flat!
my A35 had a body coloured grill with the deep chrome border/suround/bezel,
the difference with the grill in the picys is its flush the the nose cone
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

I now realise that the name "Peanut" on the rear of the A30, is not just an affectionate name for that particular car but the official nickname for the A30/35.

Peanut Pete and the baby Austin

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Stopped off at a very nice place today, not for the first time, which may be of interest to any travellers crossing the River Tweed on the A1.

A right turn at the first roundabout after crossing the bridge over the Tweed, and follow the brown signs to the Chain Bridge Honey Farm and you will find plenty of interest even if you are totally uninterested in honey, farming, or chain bridges and its free.

Its called Chain Bridge because just down from the "farm" is this

But there is plenty to amuse those with a interest in mechanical things or nostalgia or both at the same time. There is also a Bristol Lodekka you can have teas coffee scones and lovely cakes in.

I reckon its 100 times more interesting than grabbing a sandwich at Morrisons, or going through the "drive-thru" at MaccyD's and its only a 3 mile 'detour'. Best not to assume rapid progress through Northumberland on the A1 anyway....take your time and enjoy it!

Regards Neil

There's even a few shelves full of old radio's and TV's

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What a fantastic place!

Using an old bus as a cafe is now quite popular... There is an old Routemaster on one of my favourite bike ride routes that's become a cafe for cyclists.. Called the 'Bike Bus'...

Love the old wirelesses :D

I love their honey too... I've had a few jars of it. Gorgeous stuff.. I love honey and am something of a connoisseur of it...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Might as well give the bike bus a bit of a plug!

regards Neil

Nice apple pie!

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the one Neil :D

How do you find these pictures? Amazing!!!
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's a bit hipster-ish! Next you'll be getting sleeve tatts and riding a fixie.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:That's a bit hipster-ish! Next you'll be getting sleeve tatts and riding a fixie.
My first reaction was f off but I'll be polite and disclose that even I have my limits and a fixie is definitely one of them...

Cycling's equivalent of a hair shirt... All the rage though... On a slightly related note, one of our number did the London to MK ride last Friday on a single-speed bike but it did have a freewheel...

Considering the hills we climbed and his overall speed he did magnificently... Strong as an Ox...
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Nice apple pie!

Straight out of Costco :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
NewcastleFalcon

I think the bike place's one is just a touch more rustic!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey