Importing to the UK from EU Countries

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Importing to the UK from EU Countries

Post by addo »

I've had a quick surf around, the item in question a pair of new towbars in Poland. Purchase plus freight to the UK is £130.

Seller suggested £600 post to Australia, I read that as "CBF". :lol:

In the HMRC website's condensed tariff PDF there isn't a listing for towbars. That aside, I have no idea how much of a pain it is to receive goods from another country if you live in the UK - have only ever sent things as accompanied baggage. What's involved - does the post orifice or freight company simply say "Pay £XXX NOW" or do you get a notice with the option of DIY declaration (assessment)?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Importing to the UK from EU Countries

Post by JohnD »

I don't think there are any additional import duties levied when goods are brought in from another EU country. During the winter I was living in Spain for four months and ordered around £100 worth of parts from a UK company. They were sent out for a moderate charge with no declaration required or any additional charges. Unlike a delivery from Hong Kong by UPS. Goods cost me £100 but UPS wanted £15 customs tax before delivery
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

UPS tried to charge me £15 handling and £35 customs & VAT on a £50 CD from Japan.
Told them to stick it and they dropped it.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

There will be no additional VAT or import duty on goods traded within the EU. If they are going outside of the EU then they should knock off the VAT of the price. Obviously if it is sent to a private individual in the UK first then the VAT will be charged in Poland.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

As above, within the EC there is no charge. If it were from turkey or some other EU member states that are not part of the EC then there could be a small charge levied.

TBH you can sometimes get away with asking to have duty knocked off if you can prove its going to the UK as a staging area on its way to OZ :)

Then make sure when its sent to OZ its marked as a GIFT :D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It would be difficult, I think, to make it inescapably clear that an item was being sent from Poland, to myself in Australia, via the UK without attracting some form of administrative "attention".

For however much one may trust it, a superficial reading of the Wiki pages on the EU suggest each member country more or less has the unalienable right to tax stuff coming in, and the HMRC guff generally supports it - but it sounds as though in practice it's not being enforced for ordinary private purchases.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have sent new items to countries outside of Europe,
i had read somewhere to get around customs/import duty's just tick the box on the customs label "gift" and do not have an invoice for the goods attached or in/with the parcel at all,

you do have to put on the customs label what the package contains and the quantity though
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Different rules for different countries. Ticking gift does not make an item exempt from tax if it is coming into the Uk from outside of the EU. Goods under a certain value do not attract duty, over that value and they do. Items can "slip" through the net but they are getting increasingly keen. The customs declaration label required on all items moving into and out of the EU are expected to truthfully describe the goods and there value. However the customs are allowed to open packages for inspection and assess the value of the contents, they will not be best pleased if the value on the customs label is understated.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

IMO stuff being imported from other EU states into the UK for business and personal stuff seems to be fine if taxed at source not destination or pass through customs unless very high in value or volume.

Like i said, marking them as gifts to send over to you would likely help as well ;)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The test purchase (£60 towbar) showed up in the UK without attracting further tax or duty. That was a relief.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Within the EU they wont attract any VAT or duties unless they are containers or such like.

The amount of stuff that comes from Lit or Pol these days and even Spa seems to be increasing...