Poor Clarkson...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Poor Clarkson...

Post by CitroJim »

You have to feel for him... Poor sod...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27123434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One feels there is a few souls who are really out to get him and are happy to do so for the flimisiest of reasons...

I'm the most un-PC person I know and I don't quite understand how the word he is alleged to have used can be seen as an insult.

Perhaps I can be enlightened in order to improve my own un-PC'ness...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Poor Clarkson...

Post by Xaccers »

Wasn't someone complaining because he named his dog after a footballer?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Wasn't someone complaining because he named his dog after a footballer?
Wouldn't surprise me.. I'm sure there are people who watch and read Clarkson deliberately looking for something to take offence at...

So, what did he call his dog? Moyes?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Didia Dogba
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-row.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt people would complain if the dog was white.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I believe it was a name coined by american soldiers in Vietnam along with others for the Enemy, i think its also is a slang reference for coke (the powdery sniffing kind not the fizzy drinking kind :lol: )
They should of just said they were talking about some class A drugs that were on the bridge.
some people moan about anything, i wonder how many people of Asian decent complained? :?

Good to hear from you again Jim, hope your keeping well sir!

I think the clarksons name all their pets after cellebs, his last dog was called Whoopi i think.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote: Good to hear from you again Jim, hope your keeping well sir!
And good to hear from you Dean :-D

Yes, very good indeed, have a look at my blog for all the news. Most of it is good... I trust you too are well?
Jim

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

From this Guardian article: Andy Wilman, TG's exec producer, said this:

In a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplay joke referencing both the build quality of the bridge and the local Asian man who was crossing it.

"We were not aware at the time, and it has subsequently been brought to our attention, that the word 'slope' is considered by some to be offensive and although it might not be widely recognised in the UK, we appreciate that it can be considered offensive to some here and overseas, for example in Australia and the USA.

He added: "If we had known that at the time we would not have broadcast the word in this context and regret any offence caused."

I find that account disingenuous. I don't think the joke would have made any sense if the writers were unaware that the word is considered offensive. To me, it resembles the usual Top Gear one-two: indulge in an unpleasant remark and then immediately pretend not to have done by assuming some sly misdirection. The same tactic playground bullies, etc., take. I think Clarkson got exactly what he wanted - a little more attention which is his stock-in-trade.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ah well, at least I now understand what the comment means...
Jim