Formula 1

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Formula 1

Post by qprdude »

Well it looks like F1 will be a bit more interesting, at least for the first few races. Are Red Bull pulling a stoke? Can't see it really, as pre season testing is vital. Will the Williams testing speed be transferred to the races? Force India did some decent times.
Are Mercedes really hot favourites or will the first few races allow the rest to catch up. I was getting very bored with the "sport" recently, but I'm actually looking forward to the first race next weekend more than I have since the late '60's. Still don't agree with the double points thing though.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Well it looks like F1 will be a bit more interesting, at least for the first few races. Are Red Bull pulling a stoke? Can't see it really, as pre season testing is vital. Will the Williams testing speed be transferred to the races? Force India did some decent times.
Are Mercedes really hot favourites or will the first few races allow the rest to catch up. I was getting very bored with the "sport" recently, but I'm actually looking forward to the first race next weekend more than I have since the late '60's. Still don't agree with the double points thing though.
I think we'll end up, by mid-season, pretty much where we were last season. Money talks, as is always the case with F1. Most of the regulation changes over the years haven't created a massive upset - there's an interesting article on Autosport's website (subscribed bit) about exactly that this week.
I'd be interested to see how Force India do. Sure, they've been fast, but so were BAR back in 1999 and Prost in 2001, but both were found to be running underweight in pre-season testing to attract sponsors. Does this still go on? Who knows.... ;-)

Looks like Renault's road-car reputation for poor engines and systems is showing itself in F1 this year :-)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Interesting that Williams have changed engine suppliers from Renault to Mercedes, and the car seems to like it. I wonder if anyone is taking bets on how few cars will finish in Australia? I am honestly looking forward to the whole weekend (and Friday). Imagine if there were only a Caterham and a Marussia left?
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, the first Grand Prix was interesting (for a change). However, as the Marussia team had annexed the Maukraine team there were 2 cars missing from the grid.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It was ok, nothing that exciting though. I agree with the regulation changes and the introduction of more hybrid technology but I think the cars sound bloody awful if I'm honest. It was like I was watching one event with the distant soundtrack of another overlayed onto it. I got woken up early this morning so watched it live. Haven't seen the BBC highlights yet, that'll be something for a nightshift this week..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Just gonna have a look at it again on catch-up TV.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Disappointed.
I agree the cars sound flat. From the fast revving high pitched whine, they have gone to a flat tone. They sound like an engine running on the rev limiter all the time. Not exciting at all. The racing was OK, but nothing special.
I wonder if Red Bull will be successful with their appeal against the fuel flow charge. They seemed to have been given the opportunity to alter it but decided not to so I guess the disqualification will stick. Nice to see the McLarens' running well and Bottas seems to have a bit of pace in the Williams.
The teams will probably have learned more from the race than all the pre-season testing.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Well Bahrain was a much better spectacle. So much for the Ferrari guy, and others saying it's like taxi driving.
Good to see the Mercs racing each other. Much better than Ferrari's (and others),team orders crap of yesteryear. Yes yes, I know it's a team sport, but from a spectator point of view, I prefer to see them all racing from start to finish. Wonder if it will last when things get tighter further into the season. Good to see competitive driving from all the teams, even the Caterhams having a go at Lotus earlier in the race, and the Force India's taking no prisoners. Vettel doesn't look half the driver, without the best car, but it's early days yet. With a decent car under him, I think Alonso would be on the podium, and if Ferrari get their act together, it wouldn't surprise me to see him challenging at the front.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I think Mercedes will be untouchable this year. There was an interesting article outlining why their engine is so good - the compressor and turbine are not in the same place as per a conventional turbo. The compressor is at the bottom of the airbox so reacts a lot quicker and there's no lag or power loss. It'll take some expense and redesign for them to catch up.

I can't say I'm sorry to see Vettel, RBR and Ferrari getting a whipping. Their recent whinging about the new rules really does stink of "our car is s**t, our engine is s**t, and we don't want to play any more"..

Didn't Rosberg look like a haunted man in the interview after the race? He's good but he's no Hamilton.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, I saw that turbo design and it also gives them a more balanced weight distribution on the car. Very impressed with their designers, and wondering why other highly paid designers missed that one.
Red Bull are certainly doing a bit of whingeing now that they have lost the top dog status. I suppose it's to be expected after having the best car for three years. I still think Alonso has the ability, if not the car. To be honest, I was so wrapped up in the racing, I forgot that the engine noise being different. Rosberg can push Lewis all the way I think, but he's not quite as good all round. I'd love to see the McLarens sort out their problems and get amongst the front runners regularly.
Did I read somewhere that, unlike previous years (blown diffusers etc) that other manufacturers will not be allowed to simply copy the Merc turbo set-up?

Edit. Will we be seeing the turbo design being used in production cars?
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Well, is Vettel just an average Joe now that he doesn't have the best car?
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Well, is Vettel just an average Joe now that he doesn't have the best car?
Yes, he was always so, much like Schumacher. I also class Jenson Button in this mould, much as I hate to do so.

The truly great - Gilles Villeneuve, Lauda, Prost, Senna, Mansell (yes!), Hakkinnen, Alonso, Raikkonen and Hamilton could or can drag a result out of a car that isn't the best, this is something Vettel has *never* done apart from his first win in a Toro Rosso in the rain at Monza, and that was only because everyone who should have won had problems.

Ricciardo is showing Vettel the way now because Ricciardo is used to getting the best out of a car that isn't perfect, whereas Vettel isn't.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The wanderer has returned!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The wanderer has returned!
I test drove a Honda Accord yesterday.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nothing that wrong with a Honda! They are reliable, easy to get parts for and maintain.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+