Car Insurance A pitfall for Diabetics on Insulin

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Car Insurance A pitfall for Diabetics on Insulin

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,
I very recently acquired a quote from Budget insurance on one of the comparison websites, when I telephoned Budget they informed me that the policy was underwritten by zenith.
when I notified them that I was type2 diabetic and took insulin which I am obligated to do they wanted to increase the cost of my policy on the basis of how long I have held a UK license.
Their argument was that in the application I answered the question "How long have you held a UK license"? with
22 years as this is how long ago I passed my driving test the license has been valid all of this time.

Now because I have to notify the DVLA of my taking insulin and I am now on what is called a restricted license I have to get a medical statement every three years from my doctor before the DVLA will issue me with a new 3 year license.

Budget insurance are making out that I have only held a full UK license for three years even though my license pink card says category B held since 1991 I have 9 years NCB on the same vechicle but according to Budget and zenith I have only held a UK license for 3 years. I have renewed my policy with my old insurance company who have not discriminated at all.
1st Central.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Car Insurance A pitfall for Diabetics on Insulin

Post by Xaccers »

Sounds like they view you as too much of a risk Nigel and don't want your business but don't want to prejudice you by refusing insurance which would be much worse for you as you'd have to declare that too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Car Insurance A pitfall for Diabetics on Insulin

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello Xac,
you do have a point there, perhaps 9 yrs NCB and 8 thousand miles per year isn't good enough
What I don't understand is how they manage to assume I have held a full UK license for three years it actually runs out in 12 months time, which is when I will get a reminder form from DVLA.
so My restricted license which for those who do not know has had removed Minibuses over 8 seats, 10 ton lorries, HgV's & PSV's
although I still, get to keep my full Bike license 7.5 ton vechicle and 8 passenger seat minibuses.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.