Formula 1

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Formula 1

Post by qprdude »

Yes' it's probably in the wrong area, but I don't know if there is a correct one.
F1 announces that the last race of next series will be for double points.
Although the majority of team principals were said to be against it, and thought the fans wouldn't like it, they decided it wasn't worth going against Ecclestone on the matter. Cowards!! Ecclestone could well be in prison this time next year if the German court has any balls.
Imagine the outcry if this was any other "sport". Last day of the football season and the second placed team win by scoring double points against an already relegated team? A boxer, behind on points wins the last round and the contest by getting double points?

It's a farce, even given that F1 is not really a sport at all. Reducing budgets to make the playing field more even for the lower grid teams, then doubling the last race points to keep "interest going" to the end? Interest for the sponsors sure, but for fans?.
I think the little dictator needs to go now before F1 becomes even more ridiculous. :roll:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Re: Formula 1

Post by Northern_Mike »

Bernie saved F1. You may or may not think he is like a large type of fish with sharp teeth, but it's true. He is in control of the TV money, all $750 million of it, and the teams aren't likely to ever go against it. Sure, there's been a bit of whinging from "anonymous team bosses" (that says it all) but the only one who's really spoken out is Tony Fernandes who owns Caterham. He's just jealous of the big boys really...

I'd rather be interested to the end rather than bear another season like the one just gone, or 2004, 2003, 1988..

Chris Eubank fought Michael Watson in 1991. Got battered around the ring for 11 rounds. One punch in the 11th, after Eubank had just been knocked down, knocked Watson out cold and damn near killed poor old Michael. Was that not fair? Same principle, essentially.

It won't affect the order of F1 anyway. People always complain when a new points system is brought in. The same teams and drivers still always win the titles.. hell, it was 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 when I first started watching and they had to drop two results. That's just as odd as having double points.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think they ought to make the drivers perform a U-turn at the end of every lap and then race in the opposite direction until they completed that lap, then perform another U-turn etc, etc. Hell - that'd put the viewing figures up a bit.... even I might watch it then :-D Perhaps the final 5 laps should be run as an old style figure of 8 banger racing demolition derby :P
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Double points is born out of desperation to keep the interest to the last race. The problem is that a hell of a lot of folk have lost all interest by the middle of the season. You can name the teams as they will finish before the season kicks off, the same with the grand prix winners. The new circuits are bland and have no feeling, especially the street circuits. The Arabian and Asian circuits seem to be one plan built into as many places as you can find.

The only races I watch now are the old circuits, Suzuka, Monaco, Interlagos, Spa-Francorchamps, and the Gilles Villeneuve in Canada - and even then I watch for the circuit not the cars.

A once great sport ruined.
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

Eddie Nuff wrote:Double points is born out of desperation to keep the interest to the last race. The problem is that a hell of a lot of folk have lost all interest by the middle of the season. You can name the teams as they will finish before the season kicks off, the same with the grand prix winners.
It's always been that way since I started watching in 1982! There's always the off button, if you are fed up with it.

There were 5 different winners last year, 7 in 2012, 6 in 2011, 8 in 2009...

Compare that with..

4 in 2005, 4 in 2002 and then back a bit, 5 in 1985, 5 in 1986, 5 in 1987, 3 in 1988 (would have been two apart from Schlesser taking out Senna at Imola when being lapped), 5 in 1989, 5 in 1992, 4 in 1994. 4 in 1996, and so on.

So, bearing that in mind, the fact that we have 5, 6, 7 different winners when nearly all the cars finish every race, is frankly amazing compared to the 80s and 90s, and it's a lot more technically interesting.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Isn't Bernie Ecclestone the guy with a really bad wig?

If so, I thought he was in jail already for shooting that American actress Lana Clarkson?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Oh no. Now I've got an image in my head of Bernie wearing Phil Spector's wig. A disturbing picture.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What has been thought, cannot be un-thought. :mrgreen:

I'm one for "accessibility" in sport, like the arts. I'd rather watch amateur cricket than pay for a seat at Lords, or spectate at one of the "budget" rally series than stand for hours waiting for a millisecond glimpse of Loeb. I worry that if people lose touch with how prodigious talent works up the ranks, they may never aspire much themselves.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....round and round then.....Asleep yet ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm fortunate. I've got what I always thought was ADHD but a psych told me is just mild Asperger's. So - my attention span wanders off happily well before the race has got far. Never a frown. :wink:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Bernie was that genius who paid Labour £1 million to have an extension on tobacco advertising knowing that when it went public the resultant scandal would get him his "donation" back and keep the tobacco extension.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:What has been thought, cannot be un-thought. :mrgreen:

I'm one for "accessibility" in sport, like the arts. I'd rather watch amateur cricket than pay for a seat at Lords, or spectate at one of the "budget" rally series
I'm the same Addo. I love F1, have for 30 years or more. I've been to precisely one race live, Silverstone in 1988. I'm glad I went for the experience but I'd rather watch on TV. Same with MotoGP. I love it for the sheer speed and technological madness.

For accessibility nothing beats hillclimbing, club rallying or a slightly higher level, the BTCC.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:I'm fortunate. I've got what I always thought was ADHD but a psych told me is just mild Asperger's. So - my attention span wanders off happily well before the race has got far. Never a frown. :wink:
My ex-father-in-law was a psych who specialized in ADD/ADHD. He was convinced I had it. Makes watching an F1 race much easier.

He used to give me Ritalin. Changed my life until got I divorced and started to be an arse. They won't prescribe it for adults in the UK :-(

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:Bernie was that genius who paid Labour £1 million to have an extension on tobacco advertising knowing that when it went public the resultant scandal would get him his "donation" back and keep the tobacco extension.
Yep. That's Bernie. He's (allegedly) more bent than a Brighton cabaret, but always manages to get away with it.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:
addo wrote:I'm fortunate. I've got what I always thought was ADHD but a psych told me is just mild Asperger's. So - my attention span wanders off happily well before the race has got far. Never a frown. :wink:
My ex-father-in-law was a psych who specialized in ADD/ADHD. He was convinced I had it. Makes watching an F1 race much easier.

He used to give me Ritalin. Changed my life until got I divorced and started to be an arse. They won't prescribe it for adults in the UK :-(

How many ADHD kids does it take to change a light bulb ??

yehhhh....Who wants to go cycling ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting