Waxoil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

Waxoil

Post by rpaco »

I am about to waxoil the underside of my 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Hatch.
Anybody have any objections?
I have used waxoil on previous cars and think the sun shies out of its fundament, also use it on tools machinery iron gates etc.
Just wondered if there are any pitfals with applying it to the Xantia. (Obviously avoiding the exhaust system.)
ghostrider
My Cars:

Waxoil

Post by ghostrider »

Can't think of a good reason not to, I had a CX that I did with it including all the box sections cills etc took a good hard days work but it was the most rust free one I ever owned, then some B******d drove into it and seeing as they are only worth 4.5p that was it write off and goodbye
Pete
________
FRANZ JOSEF POPP
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I have also used waxoil on all my cars but I mix it with used engine oil to help it emulsify. Waxoil tends to dry up and shrink slightly over time. The engine oil prevents this but is only suitable for box sections and sills. For the underside I borrowed a compressor and used a Shutz gun to spray on underseal. Much better than painting it on.
Doc
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

I always used Waxoyl on my old 1987 BX and it seems to do a good job, but I always did it every autumn to keep it up to scratch.
Discussion about the pros and cons of Waxoyl and other products on Honest John website recently - may be of interest to you.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... =24947&v=f
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Also used waxoil with remarkable results. Knew a chap who always sprayed his old engine oil under the car at every change. It is still running around here in great condition and this was 25 years ago! R
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

Waxoil is great on clean metal, but I agree with others that on rust that is flaky or not cleaned it just sits there and does nothing. It does not seem to soak in to far.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I'm not so sure it's neccessary these days. I bought a cheapo pressure washer and just blast the underside every week or two through the winter.
Cars are much better protected against rust these days and a good pressure washing keeps the salt laden crud away. In the eighties my MIG seemed to come out at every MOT-now it sits gathering dust although my cars are bought just as old.
Waxoil is better used in low impact areas- put it on neat under arches and it tends to get hosed off-I used to mix it up with warmed underseal to keep it on.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've used the brush on underseal with added Waxoyl under the boot floor (behind the wheels) on my ZX as the original undercoating had started to flake. It's stayed on for two winters with no rust breakthrough.
Recommended.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Waxoyl can and should be thinned with white sprit, unless you are just brushing it on - it will penetrate then.
I would not use old engine oil - it contains acids and other nasties. Cheap supermarket oil is, er, cheap.
Pressure washing will remove Waxoyl if you are not careful.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I have had good results from brushing or spraying a brew which I make by dissolving water-resistant grease or used gearbox oil (which contains anti-corrosion additives) in turpentine, although my cars and trailers have never been subjected to salt contamination. The beauty of this method is that it penetrates any rust, making an oily scab, so there is no need to prep the surface beyond hosing off any mud and allowing the water to dry off.
Used engine oil is definitely not a good option, as explained by uhn113x.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Admittedly, used engine oil is slightly carcinogenic but for keeping out rust when mixed with waxoil it's pretty damn good. Lets face it, if you look at the chemicals used to make up proprietary anti corrosion waxes and coatings you would find some very nasty ingrediants indeed. I only used oil as I found the white spirit evaporated over time and left behind waxoil that eventually dried out. I would only use the engine oil mix for hard to reach areas that don't come in contact with road spray. Such a mix has kept my 1992 Transit wheelarches rust free - a notorious rust area on Ford,(and other makes),cars and commercials.