Spur of the moment

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bikeboyz
My Cars:

Spur of the moment

Post by bikeboyz »

What the greatest distance you've decided to drive at the spur of the moment decision?
Me - started in Reading, ended up in Brussels! Did the whole round trip via Calais hypermaket and the Sainsbury on a tank of diesel in the, then 106 1.4D. Only wanted a pint of milk...maybe!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I went up to see my sister at RAF Valley, Anglesey, because I was bored one Saturday. Got there and she was away for the weekend so drove back.
That was from Cambridge to RAF Valley and return in one go - in a Ford Anglia in 1968. Can't remember how long it took but it was a very, very long time.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

In 1979/80 my friend John was working for Renault UK in Acton on a student placement ( I got the boring and now defunct General Asphalte co. }
and as the student he was given the tedious ( to everyone else....) job of running in the press and demo cars. They just sent him out on a friday with orders to have them back on monday unscratched and clean with at least a 1000 miles on the clock, and we went all over the country for free in new cars and it was great fun!!!
1000 miles going nowhere..we would find ourselves in places like Norwich or Leicester or Newcastle for no particular reason-we couldn't do it now but as two 20 year olds it was excellent.
We had the one and only R18 diesel in the country, the first Fuego, which some thug broke the big faux-porsche back window on and nicked his dirty laundry from, and for two weekends we had the 18 Turbo, along with other more plodding motors.
You never see any of these cars now.........
The furthest I ever drove in one hit was from Friedrichshafen, on lake Bodensee in Germany to Dunkirk-650 miles in an Allegro!!!!with the same friend-luckily it had Hydragas and was at least comfortable.
This was in the days before the Euro and when we drove from Switzerland into Germany, the banks were closed and we ran out of fuel and could get no Deutschmarks until the next morning. It was a damned long drive to get to the ferry next day.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Watford>Glasgow>Watford one Saturday 1989. AX GT. Thats my longest spur of the moment drive.
Longest drive in one day: Cap Ferat (south of Bordeaux) to Swindon, 2001 Berlingo M/Space 19D
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Southampton-Amsterdam 1996. I was bored and had nothing to do for a few days. Company I worked for provided a car and expenses so there was no excuse not to.
Longest one day trip, Dartford to Norre Broby in Denmark via Dortmund in a Mini or Southampton to Munich in a Saab
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Me - started in Reading, ended up in Brussels<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Damn! I was trying to get to Slough! Must get that SatNav fixed [}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry for this but if we're talking trips. I once had one of those outer bodies experiences at a party when 17. Went to the outer ring of the star system, man. evey thing was slow and quiet after smoking a strange looking ciggy. So thats got to be a few million miles aint it?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

Sorry for this but if we're talking trips. I once had one of those outer bodies experiences at a party when 17. Went to the outer ring of the star system, man. evey thing was slow and quiet after smoking a strange looking ciggy. So thats got to be a few million miles aint it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hope you had a towel and a copy of HHGTG with you, Stuart! [;)]
Isn't it 'out <b>of</b> body?' Or was yours a trip to an outer body? [}:)]
Radio 4 - Monday 6:30 [:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Only talking about the HHGTG at work the other day. When's it going to re shown on the TV, instead of all this reality c**p we have at the moment.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">reality c**p <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If you want top motoring based reality TV entertainment, try "Pimp my Ride" on MTV base.....has to be seen to be believed!!
They take something very bland and turn it into a pimpmobile; chandeliers, fishtanks, home cinema in the back, that sort of thing-they havn't done a Cit yet, though.11pm tonight.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Seen it! what the hell are they doing? is it legal? I love the colour paint jobs. Example Honda CRX a complete pile of s**t. In the space of minutes they turn it from white to deep metalic orange, 14" steel wheels to 17" chrome rims with lowe rubber, 27" LCD TV in the back seat with 18000 yes thats 18000 watts of stereo power. And then they clean and respray the engine red. No braks or engine mods, but the interior is "BLING" tastic. I love,love, love it. Makes me laugh it does.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Spur of the moment or moments notice? Found out one Sunday night whilst working in Turin that I needed to be back in the UK Tuesday 8am...but also couldn't leave before midday Monday. 12:01; got in the car. 2am Tuesday, back at home, going over the alps instead of under them (missed the turning for the Mont Blanc tunnel). 8am Tuesday, back in work. 8:05am Tuesday Redundant. Now THAT's a pointless journey!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

They pay your milage claim?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"BLING" tastic. I love,love, love it. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And the 37 year old all original Mustang.......huge custom made chromed alloys to cover the drum brakes......what I love is the total irreverance, as they ripped out it's non-working original instruments and put in hip white ones. I think what they do is legal, because they also fitted a fuel divert tap, which turned the tailpipes into flamethrowers: the custom shop owner told them to take them off.
I only wish that the pump on my BX could be worked a bit harder to make it dance to the bass....keeping my foot on the brake when the engine starts does not have quite the same effect....and a diesel flamethrower would be a bit poor and probably melt the hatch....
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

They pay your milage claim?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Luckily, Yes...