I'm speechless.... floods.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: I'm speechless.... floods.

Post by Xaccers »

There was deep water on the road to Old Wolverton from Stratford Park, and a car sat there wondering whether to risk it or work out another way.
I seem to recall the AA giving the advice to keep in a low gear with the revs up and use the bow wave to keep water away from the air intake, which is probably why people hit the water way too fast.
10 or so years ago I came around a bend to find the road flooded, dipped the clutch but with the air intake being so low on a Xantia it flooded the engine. Once home I removed the injectors and inter-cooler and turned the engine over to squirt out the water. Had the injectors cleaned, a new battery and air filter and she was no worse for wear.

I would imagine this poor chap tried to chance the bridge when the water was somewhat lower and didn't make it...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:There was deep water on the road to Old Wolverton from Stratford Park, and a car sat there wondering whether to risk it or work out another way.
I seem to recall the AA giving the advice to keep in a low gear with the revs up and use the bow wave to keep water away from the air intake,
Yes, they did. It worked too, until manufacturers started putting the air intakes in places that were not conducive to such behaviour. I understand the reasons why - cold air, undisturbed airflow etc, but for floods, it's a crap place.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Lack of proportionality in behaviour; a lot of crap driving/decision making is seemingly defended by people saying things to the effect of "I had no choice".
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:Lack of proportionality in behaviour; a lot of crap driving/decision making is seemingly defended by people saying things to the effect of "I had no choice".
Reminds me of a woman who went to the papers after failing her driving test for going through a puddle and splashing a pedestrian (now a motoring offence). She said she had no choice as she couldn't avoid the large puddle on her side of the road because there was an oncoming car so what was she supposed to do? Er, apply the brakes dear and manoeuvre around the puddle when it was clear.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Lack of proportionality in behaviour; a lot of crap driving/decision making is seemingly defended by people saying things to the effect of "I had no choice".
It makes the mind boggle how these people manage to stop the car outside their houses with a lack of a brake pedal or brain..
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

someone commented on it early on in the thread, It seems people are too reliant on the technologies built into cars now that they loose the ability to make the decisions for them selves, Key to this is the 'Auto lights' mode, its Overcast, grey, mizzling yet Auto mode doesnt deem it needed so i wont turn them on! despite the point that everyone else has theirs on, same with Satnavs, people have lost the ability to use a map and the common sense that comes with it,
the recent flooding is much the same, they all seem to think that they are fine, they are in a modern car, they are much better than the old cars, old cars suffered floods all the time, they dont seem to have the ability to look at whats in the flood water and judge the depth, like a lamp post/telegraph pole, they are all pretty much a standard size, look at them and see how much is covered etc. or a wheelie bin etc.
i doo remember the bmw's when they changed over designs in the late 90's/early 00's, placing the air intake right at the bottom of the bumper, great in cold dry conditions but in Britain Useless, half decent puddles grinding some to a halt due to sucking up water, and floods, well, iirc they suggested you entered them Backwards! most people believing in the mantra of 'I'm n a BMW, i will be fine'!!

did you see the guy who drove his brand new aston into flood water on christmas eve?? whole thing shut down, then opened the windows! chap just left it in the puddle! £170k, its only a car was his quote!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Common sense stopped when wage packets got done away with :rofl2:

" oh I don't handle money now........I let the bank do it all!" Yeah that's how you owe about 3k every other month in stupid credit card bills !!

"How much for an ECU and fan motor"? ££££££ "Well that is just crazy".........yeah but not as crazy as thinking it is a horse and cart you are driving through flooding.
Sorry, but some are so stupid they need a string on their tongue to stop em losing it :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2