I'm speechless.... floods.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

I'm speechless.... floods.

Post by qprdude »

Anyone surprised by the video footage of drivers driving straight into floodwater without even slowing down? Any opinions on their abilities?
Cars, vans, motorbikes , all guilty. Couldn't believe that these are qualified drivers. [-X
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Re: I'm speechless.... floods.

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Anyone surprised by the video footage of drivers driving straight into floodwater without even slowing down? Any opinions on their abilities? [-X
I have some opinions, but the forum has a expletive remover and moderators, so it's pointless me posting them.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is no different to seeing how people these days deal (or manage not to) with snow...

I despair sometimes... Common sense and a willingness to learn and hone skills these days seems to be in very short supply...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It'd be very easy to design a looped data logger of water level and vehicle speed that overwrote like a dash cam, mount in a tamperproof housing and make keeping it functional a part of your insurance contract. Then the gronks would have insurance claims denied.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think driving ability ( or the lack of ) is seen/shown every day, or should i say in every second driver you come up against in day to day driving,

probably why manufactures/designers are working towards driver less cars
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:It'd be very easy to design a looped data logger of water level and vehicle speed that overwrote like a dash cam, mount in a tamperproof housing and make keeping it functional a part of your insurance contract. Then the gronks would have insurance claims denied.
I'm sure it would but why go to the trouble when humans intrinsically have a very good brain which is easily capable of the necessary reasoning...

It could be that modern humans have become so reliant on technology to do all their thinking for them that lies at the root of this problem...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:humans intrinsically have a very good brain
Problem is, they don't put brain into gear before getting into the car :roll: :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There's a growing case for compulsory sterilisation.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantidote wrote:
Problem is, they don't put brain into gear before getting into the car :roll: :(
That's true Martin :(
addo wrote:There's a growing case for compulsory sterilisation.
That's a bit harsh Adam...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

Germany 1942 is that way ----->> hold on tight and set your watches back 70 years!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:

Germany 1942 is that way ----->> hold on tight and set your watches back 70 years!

Set your watches much earlier than that... 1895 and Sir Francis Galton, half-brother of Charles Darwin was one of the originators. It wasn't a German thing at all. British actually.

This article may be of interest and explains it quite well...
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Once you've passed your parenting tests and paid the surgical fee up-front, the process could be reversed. Not that different to a driving licence/car ownership in many ways.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Xantidote wrote:
you can get by in life on common sense alone, but would be completely up the what sit on brains alone
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had to drive through floods on Tuesday. I watched a Transit truck go ahead of me (too fast, I thought, but he made it), and watched the water level on his rear wheels. I then went through so slowly the speedo hardly moved off the pin. The second flood was deeper, but I did the same trick. Went round a corner, and the policeman keeping the road closed was surprised to see me (as were the drivers of half-a-dozen cars who were phoning for help). I explained there wasn't anybody on the other side keeping it closed, and that I drove so slowly the bow wave was barely a ripple.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

You probably know the ford near Hurst James, that is on the lane up to Charvil. A couple of years ago, my wife ended up following the sat-nav up there and came to the ford. Apparently there aren't many fords in Colombia... she called me and said "the bl00dy sat-nav wants me to drive across the river!".. so, she had the sense to stop, pull over, and ask what to do. She didn't head blindly into it. I told her to look at the river, look at the depth board , it was ok, so she drove through.

It amazes me that some of the people I see round here, especially on the roads south of Twyford down to Wokingham and WSL, which flood regularly go so fast on them when they're flooded. Sandford Lane is another. That's so bad they close it. Last time it was closed, they'd only put the sign at one end, and I drove down it, very slowly, in an MX5. Twas like being in a boat, as I had the roof down too :-) April 2012 I think.