Speed camera detectors......

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Speed camera detectors......

Post by waynedance »

Does anyone use a Snooper Lynx GT or similar?

Please no answers saying watch the speedo bla bla bla. I want one and can not decide which.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Speed camera detectors......

Post by Deanxm »

Im sure radar detectors were made ilegal a few years back?.
Anyway i had a snooper, wonderfull bit of kit, it had a traffic light system of lights and sounds to alert you to different types of Radar, the further to the red the more likely it was a speed camera, i found a green warning was traffic lights and automatic doors, and amber warning (for some reason was ambulances and motion sensors on security lighting and the red warning was the automated doors at tesco, sainsbury's and some costa shops at motorway services, it did do a full on flashing red warning on the A303 once while i was tanking along at, 60mph but to this day i have no idea why, there wasnt an automated door in sight just plain open fields and a few cattle.

One strange thing, i never, ever had it set off by an actual speed camera here on the island, got 5 of them over here and for the 3 years i used it it never once went off, it did on a few on the mainland though so all in all a rather annoying peice of equipement...............sorry

D
Last edited by Deanxm on 18 Dec 2013, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

waynedance wrote:Does anyone use a Snooper Lynx GT or similar?

Please no answers saying watch the speedo bla bla bla. I want one and can not decide which.
I had a snooper with laser detection and radar unit mounted in my car many years ago when I used to do a *lot* of motorway miles, often more than 800-1000 a week.

It wasn't that great, and TBH, my Tom-Tom with the speed camera database kept updated it much more useful and value for money.

The Snooper didn't always detect police on motorway bridges either and the radar detector thing got set off by all sorts of random street furniture and automatic doors in town.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote: The Snooper didn't always detect police on motorway bridges either and the radar detector thing got set off by all sorts of random street furniture and automatic doors in town.
Ah the old "BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!" letting you know you were outside Tescos.
I used mine more for finding out which cameras were actually active (back then between Staines and Hemel on the M25 there was only 1 active in each direction).

Most of the reviews for the Lynx say it's good but the Road Angel is better, however there appear to be plenty of people frustrated because they didn't RTFM, such as not being aware it can take up to 5 days to activate, and not knowing about the area in their windscreen that doesn't have the heat reflective treatment (normally near the rear view mirror).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I don't know if it's the same thing, but my satnav (Garmin Nuvi) detects them whether it be fixed, mobile, vans, or these ones about 30ft high that swivel....so I don't think I need a snooper or whatever they're called
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

stu9 wrote:my satnav (Garmin Nuvi) detects them
Just make sure the satnav regularly receives updates, otherwise you could still get caught out (and you still could be, by handheld or mobile speed cameras). Cheaper older Garmin's like mine only have the original camera's database, so are now way out of date.

I'd also question how long a camera is in position before that data is included in satnav updates
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )