I'm insured.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

I'm insured.

Post by qprdude »

Insurance due 29/12/2013.
Got my renewal quote from the AA. Plus the letter saying they would beat any like quote.

Last years dealings were: AA quote £217.
Chaucer quote £168
After much haggling, the AA matched the Chaucer quote so I stayed with them.

This years dealings were. AA quote £205
Swinton quote. £144
Phoned the AA to tell them, but they wouldn't match without proof that all the details were the same. Apparently, the "Price match" promised was being abused by customers changing details like annual mileage, voluntary excess etc, and the AA couldn't check what the matching quote details were.

The new system means that they require the quote with all the relevant details to be sent to them. The guy was very helpful and apologetic about the change. He said that he was authorised to match up to a £50 difference without needing written proof.

Being a lazy bugger, I couldn't be bothered to print off all the quote pages and send them off. As I get emergency home cover free for 6 months with the AA, I also couldn't be bothered to go to the local Swinton office either.

Result? I accepted the AA quote with a £50 reduction.

This years fully comp, two drivers, legal cover, NCB protected. £250 compulsory excess (recoverable for no fault) and £0 voluntary excess.
£154. Total.

That's a reduction from last year of £14 in real money, so I'm quite happy with the outcome.

To be fair, the AA quote was £12 cheaper than their "un-price-matched" quote from last year, so I guess insurance cost really have come down.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
isisalar
My Cars:

Re: I'm insured.

Post by isisalar »

What a difference for a few hundred miles, just done this exercise on my Xantia hdi exclusive estate in London, 12k with business use. Cheapest was 434 pounds with AXA, most expensive 2300 POUNDS with Endsleigh, the mind boggles how they can come up with a figure like that, and how they would justify such a difference. On the plus side this year's is 30percent cheaper than last year.
You're very lucky you didn't end up in the clutches of Swinton, or Budget. They have both behaved despicably towards me and their business model is definitely not geared towards customer retention.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My daughter just reinsured her Clio. £300 down from £500 last year, no change in circumstances.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

That's good news. Almost a reasonable amount now.
Surprising though, after all the hype about "Equality of the sexes", supposed to mean male premiums would come down and female ones would go up.

I'm not sure I believe that it is all because of the crackdown on cheats, manufactured accidents and whiplash injuries. It's more likely that we have been being ripped off for years, but they have to reduce premiums gently, or questions might be asked. Whatever the reason, it's heading in the right direction.
Rick.

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

My insurance is due for renewal on the 407 Coupe on 28th December.

Admiral quote came in at £406. Decided to try Direct Line as they were cheaper for my Range Rover earlier in the year and they were £275.

I'd actually increased the milage from 2000 to 5000 with Directline as well as I intend to use this car a bit more then I did the XM. Rang Admiral who said that as I had been a loyal customer for years they'd knock £100 off the quote. That really hacked me off as they should of done that to start with rather then waiting for me to challenge them on the price. As a result of trying to take me for a ride I'd made the effort to switch to Directline.

Can't tell what this was last year as I changed the car several time over the policy last year.

However at 27, with 7 years NCB, 5000 miles, a 210bhp car that's in quite a high insurance group I can't really grumble at £275.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

That seems like a decent quote David. Shame that insurance companies rip loyal customers off, but I suppose it's the way with everything. Getting new business is the God of all service industries.
I expect I get lower quotes for living in the sticks. (and being an old git)
Rick.

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

I know what you mean.

We're out in the sticks too :) Closest neighbour is almost 1/2 a mile away. Great for insurance purposes :)

I've got a company van for work during the week which means that all my cars are Social and Domestic use only which seems to make a big difference. The 407 is insured for 5k miles, the Range Rover 4k and the XM and Xantia are on limited used policies for 1500 miles a year. The Activa cost me £190 last year :) Hoping the XM will cost about the same this year!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel