How hard is mig welding?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: How hard is mig welding?

Post by CitroJim »

Those masks are lovely :-D

[hint]
Xac, it's almost Christmas
[/hint]
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

He's probably testing it while lighting the menorah. :P

The skull pattern masks would be awesome for frightening kiddies.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:He's probably testing it while lighting the menorah. :P
Cor that takes me back. I had an Israeli friend's daughter staying with me, and my parents were ill with the norovirus so at the last minute we were left with no plans for xmas.
I grabbed a gammon and veg from my parents and bought some lamb from Tescos, invited my neighbours and she invited some of her friends, one of whom was kosher so I had to make sure the gammon and the rest of the pots never met.
So we had my Caribbean Christian neighbours, a practising Jew, and a couple of not so practising Jews, sitting down for Christmas dinner cooked by a humanist :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I managed to use the MIg welder and Successfully use it to stick bits of metal together!! :-D - yes i know its more technical than that! ;-)
it would be fair to say i have minimal patience, and i managed to find enough bits and bobs to weld up in the shed to get to learn how it all worked having Never welded before!
its one of those things you need to remember not to Rush it, and have a little practise and you'll be okay! Blimey, if i can manage it then anyone can!!! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Mig is the easiest, fastest and most versatile of all the welding methods, especially for a beginner. Tig is more suited to bench welding. It is a process that calls for being in a comfortable and steady position........that happens rarely under a car on your back or knees. Tig also takes many, many more hours of practise. I know guys who Mig and Stick for years and still can't Tig.
If you can learn Tig as well though, you can hammer weld and shape the panels somewhat as you go........it is HOT!........like gas. Can't do that with Mig. Colder process and harder weld bead generally.

In comparison to what you guys do with Cits.......I don't think you have much to fear with Mig Welding.
It is not common for welding to break or give way really. I remember when building a Seven from scratch many years ago. The wishbones were hand made and some guys posted up picks of accidents where wishbones were bent like hairpins,
Some of the welds were quite rough to say the least, but they never gave way. Needless to say I still root and cap welded mine ,but it was intriguing. A good tack weld can hold a ton.

On old cars it is cutting to sound metal and cleaning it to bright that is key. You want enough power to transfer through the metal showing a facsimile of your weld. but without burning holes. That is your penetration and it is done with the settings of your amps and suitable wire speed and torch movement.
I am pure amateur and I know you guys are gonna love your welding and tin bashing. 8-)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:I am pure amateur)
Not with all that good advice you're not! That all sounds professional to me :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

One helpful bit of advice I got from a competent welder, was to notice how close novices held the tip to the work; how little wire protruded. His point was that with a confident action and feel for the gas shrouding, you actually had better vision of the weld zone as you worked - for a Dee chassis he was holding the tip away a good three quarters of an inch. I guess it's a bit like amateur chippies choking the hammer.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always clean old metal away like sill lips back to one lip, as trying to weld to a double or more lip of old metal with rust in between,
it will pop f*a*r*t and blow away what you are attempting to weld to
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years