Xsara 1.9 LXTD STOP light on dash problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

compbuild

Xsara 1.9 LXTD STOP light on dash problem

Post by compbuild »

Hi,
I’ve recently had problems with my Alternator, the bearing was gone in it and had to be replaced, once or twice before it was replaced the warning STOP light came on in the dash and flickered and then went out again. Since the replacement it has been doing it quite a bit more regularly, this morning it was accompanied by a warning siren, It only does it when approaching roundabouts just as you’ve slowed up and you’re putting your foot down to go on, if you can imagine it’s at the point where you might stall a petrol although giving it more throttle doesn’t have any affect, any ideas what the problem could be?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The alternator can not set off the STOP lamp -
Even the alternator charge (battery icon) lamp may come on - not setting the STOP.
You have a different problem on your engine.
Go check the oil dipstick ASAP, as this will set off the stop lamp, but may fail the oil warning lamp.
Also check your coolant level.
It's important you trust your warning lamps, as these may save you big $$$'s if you obey the warnings on time [:0]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I agree that you should check things when their warning lights come on, but as far as trusting warning lamps goes, I check my oil level with the dipstick and coolant level by taking the header tank cap off....
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

What else can set off the stop light, I will check the oil and coolant when I leave work
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

Oil and water are OK, anybody got any ideas what else it could be or what I should do to have it fixed?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

If it happens when you are on the turn into, or on, the roundabout it is very likely the LHM level. Never heard of a siren going off though.
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

Thanks what is the LHM Level, It isn't necessarily when I am turning, its more when you are coasting up to the roundabout with the clutch in and then you press the accelerator again if you jerk the car the light comes on, if you do it smoothly it doesn't, weird
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Panjandrum</i>

If it happens when you are on the turn into, or on, the roundabout it is very likely the LHM level.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I nearly posted the same answer, then realised this is a <b>Xsara</b> we're talking about here [:I]
Low brake fluid level is a posibility though.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

OOPs - sorry. Saw the X at the front and didn't read the rest.
Comment on LHM withdrawn as irrelevant to Xsaras.
PJ gone to hide in the corner[:I][:I]
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

I'll check the brake fluid when I get home tonight, thanks nick
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

Put in about 300ml of water and about 25ml of brake fluid and so far I haven't seen the light on again, very strange