just send you car to work Jim

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

just send you car to work Jim

Post by citronut »

Jim
have you kitted your fleet out ready for this

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/51727 ... m?fs=2d762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: just send you car to work Jim

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mine already gets to the Kebab house and back on its own !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Likewise except it's my place of work that mine know :twisted:

If this scheme spells the end of horrid MK buses and rotten taxis then I'm all for it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Likewise except it's my place of work that mine know :twisted:

If this scheme spells the end of horrid MK buses and rotten taxis then I'm all for it...
Apparently it will use the red ways.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Apparently it will use the red ways.
Red ways are an extensive network of paths for cyclists and walkers in MK. They don't run parallel to the roads and are often out of sight and hidden in lush trees and shrubbery. For this reason they are not heavily used by either walkers or cyclists due to the perceived dangers of doing so and as a consequence most walk and cycle dangerously on the fast grid roads which have no facilities for either pedestrians or cyclists.

Many red ways today are strewn with dog poo, broken glass, abandoned doner kebabs, nameless littler and drug paraphernalia so from the average walker and cyclist's point of view it's not hard to see why they resist using them

To use them for something like this is absolutely excellent. Milton Keynes badly needs a rapid transit system...

One red way comes right out to my location along a old railway trackbed. Shame it's still not a proper railway as it would today be a most valuable asset. There has been talk of abandoning it as a footpath and making it a railway again but this idea might even be better.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Definitely Jim, if they start using the red ways, there will be more imputus to keep them clean, and with the greater use perhaps they won't be seen as so dangerous and therefore used by more cyclists and pedestrians.
In Portsmouth back in the 90s they introduced Park Rangers who would go around inspecting the parks on motorbikes, hoping to reduce vandalism and crime, as well as reporting any damage so it is repaired quicker.
We have mounted police in MK, you can normally see their manure on the roads around the main shopping center, but I've not seen them on any red ways. Perhaps it's time they expanded their patrols too?

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Xac wrote: We have mounted police in MK, you can normally see their manure on the roads around the main shopping center,
they obviously need dersh shovels whoooops i mean deux chevaux :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Baguette

Post by Baguette »

I'd still rather have mounted police than police on Segways... Looks so stupid!

The pods really remind me of all the older sci-fi movies though, very curious to see how it will all work out.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Baguette wrote:I'd still rather have mounted police than police on Segways... Looks so stupid!

The pods really remind me of all the older sci-fi movies though, very curious to see how it will all work out.
Unless the petition has been successful in the past year or so, Segways are illegal except on private land over here in the UK

DIY sphere tool
Baguette

Post by Baguette »

Xac wrote:
Baguette wrote:I'd still rather have mounted police than police on Segways... Looks so stupid!

Unless the petition has been successful in the past year or so, Segways are illegal except on private land over here in the UK
Hmm, after a bit of googling it seems you are right! Not that it's a bad thing... I've seen them in bigger cities around Europe, like Berlin and Paris, and there's just something a bit lame about them.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

They're illegal here except in a select few designated precincts. Not that it stops a small number of people using them in suburbia to scoot down the footpath for lunch or whatever. I think they're a good "hybrid"; safer than the aluminium scooters.