Not a motoring topic BUT====

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Not a motoring topic BUT====

Post by JohnD »

--- I've got a new computer arriving next week. Can anyone tell me how I go about transferring my ISP to the new machine?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

If your ISP account was originally from a disk then just reload or get a new one. They give you the choice of loading a new or existing account. If it was an 'on line' account - I don't know! Unless it is a broadband connection ISP then your modem should detect it and your operating system should go and get the drivers, software connection etc.
Or at least mine did. I am using XP Pro and a BT broadband connection.
Hope that helps a bit at least. Robin
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

If you are on broadband you need the broadband installer cd supplied by your cable co/BT etc along with the account numbers and passwords. This varies from supplier to supplier. If you are on standard dial up, you need to get all you details of your dial up settings.
Go in to Control Panel
Click Internet Options
Select the Connections tab
Highliht your current service, then click Settings
Copy down all the information, including that under properties and any subsequent buttons.
When you get the new machine you need to create a new dial up and enter the information back in exactly as it was. Print screening it is always a good way to store it (press ALT & PRNT SCRN/SYS REQ together, then you can go in to Word, edit/paste the screen shot). Remember passwords will only show as ****** so you need to know these.
Thats about it, providing you dont have AOL or another ISP with its own dialer like NTLhome, in which case you're best reading their own help pages!
Good luck
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Thanks for all of that. I'm with Freeserve (now Wanadoo) on normal dial-up.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

You can select Export options in Internet explorer and Outlook express and export all sorts of things, dial ups,addresses,favourites etc put em all in a desktop folder and then copy them to a CD or even a floppy
Stewart
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

Thanks for all of that. I'm with Freeserve (now Wanadoo) on normal dial-up.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Go to the wannadoo website, go into the help area and there is a facility to do the setup. When it tells you to run the file from it's current location, ignore that and save it to a floppy disk. Then run that on your new PC.
Or just pick up a CD from PCWorld/Dixons/etc. Stick it in the drive on the new PC and do the retrieve/reactivate/whatever option. (probably the easiest way).