Half a million mile oil change

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Half a million mile oil change

Post by Robin »

I have no comment to make on this, but you might!
http://www.oilmate.com/html/benefits/
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

$830 for 1.I know what i`d spend my money on!$830 buys a lot of oil & filters.
If it is so good,why dont manufactures fit it as OE?Apart from losing on servicing costs.
I`d keep an openmide myself.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Sounds like the burning of the old oil would be ok for slow running diesels, but not high speed automotive engines, I'd imagine a few clogged injectors.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Has anyone ever seen the infomercial for ProLong, on the Thane Direct shopping channe?-this stuff is now on sale in the UK.
Basically, they put ProLong in a "regular sedan's" oil, then supposedly drain it all out and drive it around LA all day with no oil in the sump- only stopping because they are hungry!!
Later in the infomercial, they have a yank V8 running on a test-bed, with this ProLong stuff in its oil, they drain the oil, run it all night with an empty sump and suitably white coated "scienctists" with clipboards observing and taking notes!
The big old lump then runs all night with no oil, so they then cut the coolant hoses and run it with no water either- try THAT in your XUD!
When even this fails to stop it running they unbolt the sump and then lob handfulls of sand at the crank and valvegear!
A "professor" then stops the motor and declares it fully servicable and free of wear!
Only in america........if you haven't seen it scan the shopping channels; its a very entertaining 20 minutes or so!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Years ago when I was just a boy my dad worked up at Rover in Birmingham. He was a machinest in the experimental section, all very hush hush. He once told me that at the begining f the 1980's before BMW had a go 'they' at Longbridge had a BMW engine on test which ran at all revs for over 12 months on the same oil non stop. There was some blah in the press years ago about BMW 'sealed for life' engines that NEVER had an oil change. The idea being if the engine became broken for what ever reason you just bought and fitted another.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I've never understood why the basic concept of having two cans under the bonnect hasn't come along. The engine pumps oil from the first, around the engine, and back to the second, and vica versa. Make one can removable with a filter inside, and after X number of cycles, you lift the bonnet, pull out the can, push in another. Drive away, all about 2 minutes self service. You could do it at the same time as filling up with fuel.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I don't quite know where under the bonnet of my BX I would find space for two cans and a pumping system!
People may say put them in the boot then, but the problem would then become keeping the oil up to temp, and then where would the shopping go?.
Of course, we could start using ProLong, and then wouldn't need to bother with oil at all!!
There is a system which completely does do away with oil changing and filters and all that mularchy, you just top it up when you fill with fuel-two stroke!!!!!!!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Way back in the dark and dismal mists of time Morris had a dry sump overhead cam engine. It served on the road for about three years and as a marine unit for another two. It used the the external filter and repalceable can principle that bxb is suggesting. Very little in this world is new. This engine was introduced in 1932. R.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The makers of molyslip used to do an ad with two ford cortinas, they ran them round a speedway track then dropped the oil out of them both the one with their additive ran all day, nothing new, I once saw a device called a cresco cleenoil which was a bypass oil filter, tapped into the oil pressure switch it filtered the oil through a remote canister element resembling a loo roll (replaced every 5k )and from there back via brass fitting into the rocker cover, they claimed 60k mile life for your oil and the original filter but I believe they filtered some of the clever additives out too, the oil always looked new.
theres nothing new here is there
Stewart