Is my car turning classic?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Is my car turning classic?

Post by bxbodger »

In a car park full of rounded soft-edged cars, the BX is is beginning to look very distinctive in an oddly cubist sort of way.
Now I remember when you couldn't give a DS away, but it's now an accepted classic in the proper sense of the word (i.e. not just an ordinary car that happens to be old)
The CX and GS are now more or less extinct, from being a once relatively common site on the roads (when did you last see one...) They appear to be going the same way as the DS-i.e. unloved rust-bucket overcomplicated horror banger, now starting to turn classic.
The question is, will the BX go the same way- will I be shot by Citroen fanatics for hauling sand and cement in it and having the wrong period hub-caps, or, horror of concours non-standard horrors- a temperature gauge????
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The correct punishment is of course the guillotine- I'll just go an' get me knitting.
Realistically, it is a French Cortina, not as good as a CX but better by far than the fascinating but thirsty, rusty, leaky GS.
The GS will always be a curiosity but the CX will never be less than a Classic
I don't think anybody will ever regard the BX as a classic but as they are becoming rare (I saw more Maseratis on my way home from London last week than BXs). They will still be a conversation piece amongst KNOWLEDGEABLE car freaks. As a child, I would cross roads to look at unusual old cars. The BX will be my way of returning that pleasure to the next generation, if they can be bothered.
Real Classic cars (Eg E-types)have never been so cheap. Why?
RX8, Boxster, Elise, MX5, TT; all available at classic car prices with none of the aggravation and half the running costs.Would you really want an MGB or TR6 instead?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

So who'll resurrect pre-hydractive hydropneumatic Citroens, then?
Will the Japanese or Koreans (or perhaps even the Chinese) wrap it up in a curvy retro body, but probably a utilitarian one, engineer it properly, and then sell millions?
Now if I can just remove my tongue from my cheek: erm.....hold on.... seems to be stuck there.....(cue loud popping noise).
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I think the BX will become a classic, whatever the definition of that is!
I sold mine (Mk 1 16TRS Auto, 59,000 miles, 1 PO) because it was too good to use as an 'everyday' car.
I still see the occasional CX on the road - some of them are in quite good condition.
Not seen a G on the road in UK for a while now - the GSA was better in terms of corrosion, but they were a very underrated and advanced car, anyhow - second in comfort only to the DS.
I don't think there was a period when the DS was <b>totally</b> unloved - they are that different to anything else (like the 2CV) that there has always been a following.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

They are becoming rarer by the day, hardly surprising when you consider the number going to breakers and often diabolical customer supportand the dumbing down that motoring has undergone, cars are becoming as impersonal as domestic white goods, if it breaks get another one, usually from the east, all the character of a big mac;)
I will stick with mine for a while yet.
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I will stick with mine for a while yet.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Same here! Basically, there's nothing I could replace it with that looks as distinctive, yet has the load lugging practicality, comfort, and diesel economy and simplicity.
I think the BX deserves a place in Citroen history- it is, after all, the car that saved the Citroen name from extinction-without it the Xantia and C5 would never have existed, and it's the hydraulics that mark a real Cit out from being just a badge engineered Pug.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Well i hope it becomes a classic within the next 15 years, i might even make my money back! I love them, theres nothing more interesting, i mean i've worked on a mini and that was fun being so small a teeny, and i've worked on a landrover doing electrics with a drill in one hand and a soldering iron in the other!
But ive noticed in some areas there are a lot of them, i saw 17 around Kensington on a two day visit to London, even saw three in a row TWICE! But then i come back to liverpool, and other than a 4x4 BX i occasionally see doing 80+in a 30, theres none!
I guess the 16v is gonna become the classic first, between the small original numbers, and the pug boys getting there engines away, theres pretty much only good examples left. I'm kind of upset that people think the CX has become a REAL classic, because i really want to have one as a tow car :(
I must admit though, since i changed Dealer i've had really good support from Citroen. I know them by name, and so long as i dont want them to do the work they're super helpfull, they'll often try to source stuff thats not being supplied by citroen! Shame the dealers are generally resentfull of dealing with the BX :(
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Shame the dealers are generally resentfull of dealing with the BX :(<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But, Vanny, that is a <b>Good Thing</b>!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
IMO the BX just doesn't have "IT", I don't know what "it" is, but the CX has it as does the DS... The BX is really only another old car, it just doesn't have the engineering excellence for starters. It wanders, follows road cambers, doesn't steer anywhere near as well as the DS or CX, has a ride/handling comprimise much more suited for modern roads (ie: isn't soft 'n' rolly polly/comfy). The motor is revvy and eager, much different the the old torqey citroen plodders. It doesn't even have comfy Citroen seats, it has god awful seats, the driving position is bloody painful (you'll have leg cramps within the hour if you try to drive one any distance). The CX's and DS's excelled in these areas.
It's really just another car, sure a good car, but nothing special....
seeya,
Shane L.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I think it will, however, survive in much greater numbers than it's predescessors- mainly because of the diesels longevity-(most of these being killed off only by the lack of a temp.gauge, I suspect) and the fact that, like the DS and CX before it, it's rubbish for banger racing!
It is also a lot easier to keep on the road as an everyday driver-I use mine for a daily motorway commute and it's dead easy to service.
Stranger cars have become accepted classics- the godawful VW beetle being one that I can think of, so who can say?