Stop Start

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bikeboyz
My Cars:

Stop Start

Post by bikeboyz »

Citroen is to lease its Stop Start system in November. You stop the engine stops, then restarts when you take your foot off the brake and press the accellorator.
Sound like a re-hash of the old VW Golf Ecomatic to me.....wasn't that a success...NOT !
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I understand and have read all the blurb. But common sence is still telling me that to stop and then re-start the engine takes power from the battery and costs fuel at the point of starting even when hot/ warm. I did have ago in the Golf with the system and in a trffic jam like on the motor way say J9 M6 South (walsall) but around Birminghams City center in rush hour (7am to 8pm) that little delay in pulling away realy did attract the horns on other cars.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I recall the Golf being features on Blue Peter at the time (shows my age!), it was the old Umwelt 1.9 diesel. I can never understand why it was not the new TDI engine which wouldn't of relied on the glow plugs to start it, and would of been even more economical, and better performance than the low 64bhp of the IDI. Back to the Citroen I understand its a 1.4 petrol, even more odd for economy?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

its been heavily tested on a Saxo i believe. But, and heres the catch, its not as 'stop/start' as you might be led to believe. The trick to it is all in the starter motor! and the trick, well its not just a starter! Firstly the car is electric up to 10 mpg with a pretty rediculously low consumption high torque motor, then the motor starts in. Secondly the motor is that advanced that it only takes like half a turn to start, rather than lots of turns so it doesnt need to use much power even to start the engine. Now im not sure they managed to get the electric motor to 10mph working, but they had the instant starter motor working a good few years ago! The theory was that it could start and stop the car like 50+ times, and if the battery got low it would start the engine for a recharge. Its a while since i saw the show on it, apparently its really scary to drive. Wasnt it on Top Gear or Tomorrows World as well?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I was unfortunate enough today to have to follow a Toyota Primus across Salisbury Plain, what an ugly looking thing, what was Toyota thinking when they penned that one? I think there are only a handfull on the UK roads, and still cant understand the logic of petrol/electric hybrids when small DI diesel can out perform, and better the economy. I recall my old 106 1.4 Diesel was more economical then a Smart Car !
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Primus, wasn't that a stove that started on meths and then ran on paraffin. If you got it wrong it went bang - spectacularly!
Possibly the best end for the Toyota[:D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Primus, wasn't that a stove that started on meths and then ran on paraffin. If you got it wrong it went bang - spectacularly!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Maybe ToyTonka Prius? We are so used to missing letters we cannot cope with extra ones!
It would be very difficult to make a Primus stove go bang - even a petrol one. If you misuse it you will just get a burning jet of paraffin 6ft high!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Ok, so what is wrong with the old Dynastart which started and charged the battery. It makes sense to integrate the alternator and the starter. Hybrids are one of the forseeable futures. Diesel ones soon, I'm sure. A stationary engine doesn't burn money, pollute or emit any noise (So that you can listen to the 7 litre Corvette next to you in the traffic).
Seems ok to me
USA_CX

Post by USA_CX »

Um, having tested a Prius series 2 here in the states, and knowing how to drive them as a friend own ones, I got OVER 80 mpg on unleaded petrol IN TOWN. Toyota actually did do those right when to comes to being efficient!
And the system of electric to 10 mph is very simple with a good variable transmission, same thing the prius used, I was able to run electric only until about 40 mph, and for short bits passed 100 mpg[:0]
I got a citroen only because I wanted a rare car, the prius had a few annoying computer faults at that time which would drive me, a comptuer programmer, MAD![B)] (stupid things like dividing numbers by zero) [V]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ok, so what is wrong with the old Dynastart <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Arghh, no!!!![:0]
I had one of these in 1979, on a 1977 Yamaha RD200 (TBO51S-where are you now?)it was an absolute horror! It weighed a ton, had four brushes which seemed to wear out faster than you could fit them, and only started the motor when it felt like it.
Thank god they also had a kickstart!!!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I recall the Guiness Book of Records listing the Citroen AX diesel as the worlds most economical production car with something silly of 114mpg or close!!