Water in Petrol

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

albaca

Water in Petrol

Post by albaca »

Any general advice would be appreciated thanks.
I accepted a can of fuel that a relative had given me. I put it in an almost empty tank. I started the car and it stopped in about 10 seconds. I then investigated and the "fuel" turned out to be mainly water. I drained the tank by disconnecting the tank to filler rubber hose and siphoned the rest via this route. I've changed the fuel filter, emptied the rail and started the pump to expel fuel from the tank when the filter was off. I'm sure most of the system is clear of water except for traces. How is the best way to go about starting up?
The car is a 1998 Scenic.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Albaca
Thanks in advance
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Over here in Sweden we have a lot of trouble with water in petrol freezing in the carburettor during the cold part of the year.To avoid this problem, there is a product available from almost every petrol station "K-Spirit" which is mixed with the petrol and which absorbs the water. K-Spirit is high concentration Ethyl Acohol (around 90%) it absorbs the water and make it burnable. You could try adding a bottle of Meths (which is the same stuff) to your petrol tank and driving on that for a while.
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I agree with NiSk regards the Meths.
By trade I'm a refrigeration mechanic & moisture is every refrig mechanics biggest enemy. Years ago, we used to "treat" contaminated systems with methanol. These days you can use ethanol or at a pinch methylated spirits to basically dissolve the moisture & let it pass through the system.
The limit I understand after recent debate here in Oz is 10% ethanol in any given quantity of petrol. Over that they claim can cause problems to engines, cats etc.
Alan S
albaca

Post by albaca »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Over here in Sweden we have a lot of trouble with water in petrol freezing in the carburettor during the cold part of the year.To avoid this problem, there is a product available from almost every petrol station "K-Spirit" which is mixed with the petrol and which absorbs the water. K-Spirit is high concentration Ethyl Acohol (around 90%) it absorbs the water and make it burnable. You could try adding a bottle of Meths (which is the same stuff) to your petrol tank and driving on that for a while.
//NiSk

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
albaca

Post by albaca »

Thanks to both NiSk and Alans...it worked after a lot of persuasion. I've done about 60 miles now and the engine hasn't missed for 40 of them. Thanks again,
Albaca
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Good!
As a matter of interest, there is another use for this alcohol-based product, but it's a bit naughty!
If you have trouble at MOT time getting your car through the emission check, just drive around until the tank is almost empty, then add a liter or two of (technical) alcohol. Don't forget to fill up with proper petrol after the check, though!
//NiSk