Iphone info please?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Iphone info please?

Post by Deanxm »

Hi gents

Ive recently bought a couple of iphone 3gs, purely just for the challenge, one had a smashed case, and screen, lcd backlight gone, soldered in a new coil to the board and put it in a new case with new speaker/mic ass and a few other little fixes and its perfect, been using it for a while (my first step into smart phone ownership, no worries.

The second phone was dead backlight only, this one was the lcd gone rather than the coil so i replaced that, then i did a restore from dfu mode on itunes which went smoothly in the end, i was getting a 29 error which turned out to be the wrong battery fitted which was stopping the restore to begin with. Now the phone is restored but when i try to register it it says no simcard is in the phone when it is, now with a bit of searching i find this happens when you restart a phone that has been jailbroken and there is so much bs on the net its hard to pick out fact from fiction, does anyoe know what can be done to end up with a working phone? obviously i cant actualy activate the phone to get into its menu, so this has to be done some other way.

The questions are do i have to jailbreak it with redsn0w or the like (would prefer not to) or is there some way i can restore the phone to its factory state (would have thought a restore would have done this)

Not french or even car related i know :oops: but i know some of you are a very good with this sort of thing.

Thanks
Dean
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No ideas, but while you're here... Is paste flux (fluoride/borate) for brazing or silver soldering copper, worth the extra over zinc chloride solution?
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Iphone info please?

Post by Ben82 »

What IOS version did you get it restored to?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

6.1.3 but before attempting the restore itunes checks for updates and said i was already running the latest version so im not sure any update has actualy been carried out now.
The more i look the more i think without a jailbreak to help boot the phone its going to be nothing but a big ipaperweight so i may just buy another complete wreck with a good board and swap it over.........................unless

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

It's worth checking what baseband is installed on it... if it's been upgraded to the iPad baseband in the past and is a unit incompatible, it is most likely a brick anyway (stock apple firmwares for the 3gs can't use 06.15.00 either), to confirm:

If you got to Setting - General - About:
Under serial number check the 3rd to 5th digits (i.e, xx000xxxxxx) , if the number of them is 134 or above, then it is one incompatible.
Under Modem firmware, if it's 06.15.00 then it's on the iPad baseband.

IF the serial number digits aren't 134 or above, then you may be in with a chance of upgrading to the iPad baseband (if it isn't already) and then downgrading it again, and reinstalling 6.1.3 to bring it back to factory 6.1.3, with a compatible baseband.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

If you got to Setting - General - About:................

I can't, the phone will not register so i cant get to the menu's.
Thanks for the help

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

checked baseband with redsn0w and yes it is ipad baseband 6.15, so it probably updated during the itunes restore and got its pants in a twist.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Deanxm wrote:checked baseband with redsn0w and yes it is ipad baseband 6.15, so it probably updated during the itunes restore and got its pants in a twist.

D
iTunes wouldn't have done that, the previous owner would :) I can't remember the exact steps (it's in redsn0w, but I think it's under the jailbreak option, which if I recall you need to grab the ipsw file for) but you could try going through the downgrade process to downgrade it to a proper 3gs baseband.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

i meant itunes upgraded it to ios 6 but yes i see now, and am on it, trying to find the baseband downgrade is a bit tricky and there are some issues with rsn0w accepting the downgrrade but im on the right track now thank you Ben, a great help

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

ok so i stayed up last night and done some reading and searching and a lot of fiddling, what ive done is use redsn0w to downgrade the baseband from 6.15.00 to 5.13,04 which has worked so far as i can tell (by checking spec via 'computer' tab in vista) i then used snowbreeze v2.9.14 to download and prep the phone for an itunes restore using ios 5.1.1.

This restore fails though saying i have an error 1604 which so far as my seaqrching has revealed is a usb link issue, tried a different cable, different usb dock and tried the restore with ios 6.0 but im still getting the same message.

All over the net there are people saying anything from "clean the plug contacts" to "serious hardware failure, probably motherboard"
I still cannot activate the phone although it connects to wifi and selects language/country etc ok, it would seem i still have the same issue of it not recognising a sim is inserted. Ive checked the sim present switch on the sim dock and thats fine.

Im going to have a bash at hactivating it now so i can at least get into the phone and have a look at whats going on.

Any further pointers would be very helpfull.

Oh and Adam, i have no idea at all, sorry
D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just a thought, Poundland do (sometimes) have the USB to iPod lead. A friend lost her original, I got her a couple from Poundland, which worked, and although she has found the original lead, it is in the box while she uses the cheapos. Poundland also do a little stand the has the iPod socket (so you use the standard lead), and then put the iPod onto the stand.

There are Poundlands in Shanklin and Newport.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Aug 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Loads of misinformation on the 'net isn't there? :lol:

Basically Apple introduced an anti-jailbreak thing into the restoration process which uses a little thing called SHSH blobs, this meant that you could only update the device, and not go back down, unless the SHSH blobs were stored.

You will need to use a program called TinyUmbrella, this will allow you to do two things:
1) Check what SHSH blobs have been backed up for you device on Cydia. (hopefully there has been some since someone would have needed to Jailbreak the device to get the 06.15.00 baseband on it).
2) Get TinyUmbrella to basically fake itself as an iTunes server/proxy, and then restore to an earlier version of iOS.

You can only downgrade to iOSes that have SHSH blobs stored, and you cannot upgrade to ones inbetween the iOS that has SHSH backups and the currently latest installable version from apple
In short if blobs are stored for say 4.2, 4.3, 5.0, you can only install 4.2, 4.3, 5.0 or 6.1.3. So you cannot install 5.0 then upgrade to 5.1.1, as it will not work. The SHSH blobs are key to downgrading an iPhone. :)
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

ok got you, i noticed on the mother board it says "4.1 unlock" in marker pen so i tried to downgrade to ios 4.1 and no im getting a whole world or error codes trying to downgrade to any ios, 20 3194 1604 1646 etc etc, i shall get tiny umbrella sorted and see what i can get back to.

As it stands now the phone will not restore on any ios either from PWND DFU for sn0wbreeze downgrade or from DFU to try and restore with ios 6.1.3.

I think there is more c**p on the internet than there is hard facts by a long way, which is why i tried this forum

Thank you very much i will get back to it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92