Am I missing something?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Am I missing something?

Post by Stuart McB »

As a small child my dad put me in front of the television to keep me quite [:D]. Now while I'm not a Treckie or any thing I do like a bit of SCi-Fi. When young these Sci-fi movies alway, always had cars that could fly or go under water and other out of this world things. Now I'm alot older [:(] I noticed that Sci-fi movies are still being made with the same cars all be it with a slighty differnt body but basicaly the same. Now if the cars from the 50's & 60's moveis where new then, how come the cars from todays films are the same? and we still arn't driving in space or under water? Or am I missing some thing?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes but the quality just ain't there. Lady Penelope is now driven in a Ford!
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Richard Branson's just taken delivery of an amphibious car and I've definately seen a 2CV that converted into an aeroplane.
As to driving in space well there was a rumour that the space station was made from recycled Zil's and Lada's.
Mark
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I'l think you'll find that Lada's are recycled from old something but it ain't from space. As for the TB are go movie, FORD, FORD!!! what ever next?
I guess what I'm saying is that with all the Sci-Fi and stuff we should have had the flying car by now, shouldn't we?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Im concered with todays news that a 24 year old Russian has bought TVR. Rich dad etc. Does this mean they will be renamed to Ladas, or on the other hand, 4 litre Ladas will start to be built? lol
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3932531.stm
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Who knows?, which ones are better built and more reliable, the Tvr or the Lada?
Paul.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

TVR's and Lada?
Well Blackpool really is like most of Russia[:D]
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Who remembers the flying Citroen DS ?? Watch Back To The Future part 2, and sure enough the old dee is a flying taxi cab !
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Nothing can beat the excitement of putting a pair of expensive trainers in a Lada or Trabi and calling it a sports car.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Apropos Trabis, I was quite surprised the first time I saw under the bonnet of a Trabant. Very neat - not a pipe or cable out of place - steel-cased coils and braided HT leads, even the engine had a little anorak on it for soundproofing.
I wonder what Ladas (not Lada's) are REALLY like - some of the Eastern cars have to start and run at temperatures of 20 below, after all. Never even ridden in one.
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

uhn113x, I understood the Lada to be of FIAT descent, built under some form of agreement and in fact mechanical spares for the engine fitted both Lada & FIAT. I rode in one in Poland a couple of times and they seemed to work well on the very poor roads outside town but rattled, creaked and banged alarmingly and seemed underpowered perhaps because of the poor quality petrol; I also witnessed the ceremony of removing the wiper blades when parking overnight. They did run in extremely hostile conditions but they were very badly used.
I visited the Trabant factory a couple of times when I worked in Germany and for what it was the car was reasonably well built, it should have been the time it took to put together; often the line/factory stopped for lack of components. The major problem was its engine and the pollution it caused, the stink/fumes in a queue of traffic on a still summer's day was eye watering; rumour had it that the body was of the papier mache type. When I first worked in Germany in 1971/2 the waiting list was reputedly 7 years and when you took delivery of the first vehicle you ordered the next, always supposing you could afford it in the first place. This was suposed to be a "The Peoples Car" for the then DDR.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Had a couple of Ladas when I was younger [:D]. One was 4X4 and it ran with out ever missing a beat [:)]. Every day it started and went. When I took it off road and mud and all kinds of s**t got in it I would just put a hose pipe in and wash it out. No trouble with the electrics. Sold for £1500 back in 96 [:D]. Also ran a Dacia Duster as built by and used for a vey short time by the Check millitary befor they became a repbulic. Again almost bullet proof. All were based on Fait cars and spares were pence to buy from a breakers. The Dacia dealer was in a back street of Wolverhampton and once I needed a temp sender unit, He got it from the local H****rds over the road and charged me £1.20 carrage [}:)]. Cheeky bugger. [:o)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

John
Your comments about the Trab factory are interesting - I wonder if they used more oil in the petroil mix than, say, DKWs or Wartburgs? Anyone know this?
Stuart
I thought they must be reliable - they did get used as taxis in, I think, Hull?
£1.20 carriage, eh? Wide streets in Wolverhampton? [;)]