DIY tracking - non french car content!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

DIY tracking - non french car content!

Post by Timmo »

hey guys,
have been out battling the trusty fiat over the weekend fitting replacement struts and lower arms, and despite the part numbers all tallying up the arms ive put on appear to be a little longer than the originals,
So now am left with the wheels Quite toe'd out, i'm guessing that the arms are for the later wider more powerful version and approx an Inch wider, now, i'm going to have a crack at a quick DIY track to get it driveable and take a lot of the stress of the components,
i know a few of you have done so in the past and just wanted to make sure what s in my heads the way to do it, i am thinking, Steering wheel straight, measure inside edge of the tyres at the front of the tyre and the same at the back of the tyres to see the difference, then adjust them so that they are equal front to back?? i am planning on this being a very tempory measure so i can get it off for welding and then get it tracked properly after the retest??

am i thinking along the right lines or am i way off base???

thanks muchly in advance

Timmo.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: DIY tracking - non french car content!

Post by spider »

Measure outer edge of wheel rims (assuming straight) rather than tyres, this is where the proper gauges should touch/sit anyway.

It should not be miles out for lower arms and struts though generally only steering components would put it miles out I would of thought. I know it will be out a couple of degree's but it should not be miles, unless I'm misunderstanding. I know some cars have a camber adjustment on the strut itself.

I'd go with your inner to inner measurements if you can as that should be reasonable although it will need doing properly obviously later before it starts to eat tyres.

EDIT... If possible move it slightly and go lock to lock to 'settle' it before adjusting it, as you've had it jacked up etc it should be rolled / moved around to settle it before adjusting.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Hopefully these mauy help! ;-)

Ive. Done the arms before and not had trhe issue with them, but these am Sure are wider! The struts came from a car in the yard with the same spec, engine etc. Withj the exception of climate, but I can't see that making the difference! Climate was a Super rare opption on them!

'58 C2 Code
spider

Post by spider »

Is the shock / hub carrier one piece (like some GM/Vauxhall) or separate like most PSA cars ?

I know for instance VW/Audi have one of the strut to hub bolts, its ecentric and adjusts the camber.

I don't know what Fiats (looks like a bravo or brava) have.

I do see what you mean though, that is excessive you could get it close by eye going from what I see especially the nearside. Roll it back forwards lock to lock etc then adjust.

I'd double check the parts are OK check on full lock nothing is going to catch, inner arch etc and tyre to strut etc.
Andy.

Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

The struts are seperate from the hub, simple 2 bolt fixing, I am certain the arms are longer, but being Brutally honest, I soimply can't be bothered to go and check it today! Hahha! In a lot of pain from 6 hours fighting with it yesterday! (the m.e. Really doesnt help in this situ!!)
Both wheels are out by the same amount which is what leads me to the wider thinking, I spent an hour this morning cross checking part numbers and specs on fiat, autoparts (althou autopoo seems to ring a bell) part finder and a lithuainian fiat parts organisation of all places! But the arms come up as for All bravo's (yes your bob on with the brav* spot! ;-)) But! I know that the hgt has a wider track, some years back I looked at getting the spotlamp bumper to improve lane driving, but they only came on the hLx/hgt which has a wider track and thus wider bumper and wings, and they didn't come in our car colour so that was shelved! ;-) same with the marea etc. And these arms cross reference for them aswell, so thats pretty much the basis of the wider arms there! What I really do need to check is that the driveshafts are confortably in and not on the edges of the cups! All these things that come to light post fitting!
Also witrhout a Proper road test i've no idea if the used strut gamble will pay off or wether they are goosed too! I hope not but have it down to 20mins to change them now! :-D will have to wait till have had the welding done and retested before I can try it properly!

'58 C2 Code
spider

Post by spider »

Ah OK. The dub ones have two bolts too, and one is the camber however I don't think that's your issue here anyway as they are out rather than "leaning out" :)

If you don't get any more advice the only other suggestion is to try one of the Fiat forums (I assume they have not rusted away*) as the experts for this marque will be able to advise on this and if its a safe tweak or otherwise.

*This was a joke, I know the newer models are half decent now, but I know someone who had a Strada I think Y or A plate and it dissolved with alarming speed. The engine was a nice decent unit though.
Andy.

Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Hahaaha! Yeah the oldies had a thing for rust! My word did they go when it started!! We are on the fiatforum but the older bravo side is quiet now, will have a look one day this week! Just those niggles that pop into your head after youve done the job! ;-)

'58 C2 Code
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

well after an attempt i have given up purely based on not having the ability to move the lock nut on the track rod end! unsuprisingly done up Tight but with as much grunt as i could muster, it wasnt moving!
have measured up the arms and compared them to th eold which i assumed were longer but alas, they are not! and the mounts on the shock are all in the same places and distances so i am at a bit of a loss as to why they are so out after the swap!

'58 C2 Code