A lack of small automatics

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

A lack of small automatics

Post by spider »

Seems lately most manufacturers do not make small automatic cars in 3 door form.

They used to, I recall the ZXD auto, 205 1.6 auto, Saxo* / 106* auto (although these had a not very pleasant 3 speed electronic autobox from what I remember, they should of put the earlier 4 speed mechanical unit in there really as it was from the same generation ie 205 / 405 etc.

Those that do appear to either have the sensodrive (manual box in effect with actuators) or those curious CVT affairs.

Talking of CVTs, one other manufacturer had some kind of large electromagnet I understand with a drum filled with metallic powder, the more current applied the more it stuck generating in effect the same effect as a torque converter I expect. I belive they changed later models to a conventional torque converter assembly though.

As a sidenote why was there no 306D Auto ? , I'd of probably had one back then if there was. I'm not sure if there was a petrol auto ZX in 3 door form, I suspect so. There was not a 3 door 306 auto available though.

Looking at PSA's small auto's I don't really see much, the smaller ones C2 / C3 (OK that's a five door) usually have a sensodrive arrangement or the later autos with a 'manual' mode as well, I've not looked into how that works though probably conventional auto with some electrickery to force it to stay in said range.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Re: A lack of small automatics

Post by andy5 »

I once drove someone's Renault 5 automatic about 10 miles.

When you pressed on the accelerator pedal the engine would speed up, but the car was pretty reluctant to follow suit.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Small automatics just don't work.. Anything less than three litres and six cylinders is quite inadequate...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:...Anything less than six litres and twelve cylinders is quite inadequate...
:o :o :o ;)

I take it we'll not see a TU conversion to an XM then :oops:

Having said that as a joke even with the 'tweaked' quote (sorry!) at least there would be plenty of space to get around it, probably standing room in the engine bay. :D
Andy.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

spider wrote:Seems lately most manufacturers do not make small automatic cars in 3 door form.
This is because small autos are hateful things. You can't even sell them in America, where they love autos.
spider

Post by spider »

Well maybe but the ZXD Auto (apart from very slow :( ) I thought was OK and the 205 1.6 Auto I quite liked although it was not very lively at all, I think the XU (they really really should of put the smaller TU in there much easier to work on) was probably detuned too far.
Andy.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Small cars are meant to be nippy, and driven on the rev limiter by deranged Italians and Frenchmen around Paris and Rome. You can't do that in an auto.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:
CitroJim wrote:...Anything less than six litres and twelve cylinders is quite inadequate...
:o :o :o ;)

I take it we'll not see a TU conversion to an XM then :oops:

Having said that as a joke even with the 'tweaked' quote (sorry!) at least there would be plenty of space to get around it, probably standing room in the engine bay. :D
:lol: :lol: I reckon could get two TUs in there Andy and make a V8 XM :P
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...